Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

I agree with @vinylvalet. Black Ice Audio does offer excellent value for their products and brings the fun back into music playback. BUt on the used market be sure to check out companies like Audio Research, Balanced Audio Technology, PS Audio BHK, and of course McIntosh. I now I've left several other in your budget but I'll leave that the to rest of the people here. 

"The amp, while very high quality is a very little know cult model."

It is also completely unknown in this/your thread asking advice as to what to mate with it.

DeKay

hilde45

Said:

"If you can wait for it to pop up used -- and it does -- the deHavilland Ultraverve III is in the price range and very much worth the wait."

I have heard great things about the deHavilland preamp in the past. Honestly, if there were one available, I would have snatched it up before even beginning this discussion. However, a check I made at hifishark.com indicates that exactly one of these has been sold online since September of 2022. Not great odds of finding one. and I can only go so long without a preamp:(

Audible Illusions 3A or 3B.  If you need phono,  The AI's have a great phono section.  You can also get it w/o phono.  I owned a AI 2D from 1991-2007, great sound, zero problems.  Had to replace tubes once or maybe twice.  Use AI's tubes if you want longevity from them.  After 2007, I bought a used AI 3A and it was slightly better sounding than the 2D.  Had it until I could wrangle a TRL DUDE used.  Finding a suitable phono preamp at a somewhat reasonable cost was very tough, however.  Since then, I've tried 5 different phono preamps to get records to even equal the AI's sound.  The AI's preamps have long been the Best Buy in all of audio.  That is not only preamps either.

The only drawback of them is you need to get off your butt to change the volume--no remote.  I need the exercise, no problem.  I have no remote with the DUDE either.  

Bob

curiousjim

Said: 

"Audio Research has a really warm sound. I saw an LS28 that sold for $3250 a couple of weeks ago.

All the best."

Thanks for the recommendation. Excellent preamp but unfortunately just above what I can spend. The price limit of $2500.00 is as far as I can go at this point in time. I just had to replace a furnace at the cost of $6500.00 two weeks ago. :(