*DAC

I am down to the last piece of the puzzle. I am very happy with the sound of my system at this point, so I’m not sure if the DAC needs to be improved on. What I am looking for is to hear those background subtleties in the music a little more pronounced. The strum of a guitar, the stroke of the piano keys, the clicks, ticks & tingles that accompany the music. I do here that now, I just wondered if there is a way to elaborate on those background sounds (details) a bit more.

Is it the DAC that will make this happen? If it is, they say my Gustard R26 is as good as a $5K DAC, how far over that $5K do you think I have to go?

Thank you for your help and suggestions and the best to you all over the holiday season and beyond!

PS: I listen mostly to Jazz

128x128navyachts

@fred60 Thanks Fred, are you 60?

@audphile1 Thanks for your insight and help, much appreciated!

@fpomposo How many wave generators do you put in your listening room, is it based on square feet? One day, I may try the fuse upgrade, thanks for the tips?

I have two wave generators, one in the front and one behind me. I'd just try one too start, I've had my cousin who is the least audiophile person notice the difference when I A/B on/off tested it on her. My buddy has the Acoustic Revive one that is like $700 but I feel like the cheap ones are almost as good, and the Nobsound one looks pretty nice.

I also gotta agree with some of the other posts, I'm a big fan of Acoustic Zen cables, I have the Absolute coppers and they are so crazy good, also love the Matrix Reference and Silver Reference, they are like getting a component upgrade.

Big fan of Gold Note DACs -  I have the DS10 with optional external power supply.  You can get the updated version of this for about $5k (and maybe less as there seem to be sale prices available possibly related to US distribution changes underway).  I did a shootout with a friend’s DCS Bartok (not Apex).  He preferred his, I preferred mine, but we agreed the Gold Note held its own for much less $.

Re cables, I’m a fan of Triode Wire Labs - great value for $.  (Full disclosure, however:  I am not an experienced cable swapper - to me, life is way too short to spend much time on cables.  Instead, I’ve relied on opinions and reviews of people who seem to have similar system priorities to mine.)