Do I Need a Dedicated Streamer?

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am still unsure of if I need a dedicated streamer and if it would increase the fidelity of my music compared to how I am listening at the moment. Which is using AirPlay 2 from my iPhone to my Hegel H590 Integrated amp.

I know that the DAC in the Hegel H590 is considered quite good and it was one of the reasons that I bought the amplifier to begin with. However, would I get a better input using a dedicated streamer for around $1000 (such as the Cambridge CXNV2 for example) or would I be better off leaving things as is?

I am just not sure if airplaying music to the Hegel is degrading the signal in comparison to a streamer that would pull its own data and send it directly to the amplifier? Also, would improving my router placement and wifi signal make any difference to the sound since my Hegel is hardwired using a mesh wifi system?

I am open to switching streaming platforms if I can gain something out of it such as resolution but I’m not sure if apple music is the issue in any of this.

If the answer to the title is a no. I am curious what I would need to take the quality of my listening experience to the next level or where money would be better spent to achieve that. I do have acoustic panels in my room and have done my fair share of research on speaker placement already.

The only thing that I have been considering in the near-future would have to be the isoacoustics gaia 1 feet.

My equipment:

Hegel H590 Integrated

KEF Reference 5 Meta

Metra Velox Speaker Cables

Thanks for reading.

danb99

@2psyop said it and explained it the best.  Funny, some commentary around using a computer designed and solely dedicated for streaming, that’s a dedicated streamer.  One of the big benefits rolling with a dedicated streamer vs building a computer for streaming is the interface / app that some companies have developed.  Node uses BLuOS (probably the best) and main recommended brands in this thread all have well thought out, built out and regularly upgraded apps, really important.  Best way for you to test out the different advice, find a dealer with a return policy, a/b streamer vs your current set up.  Let your ears decide.  I had a bias thinking a PC would do a better job vs streamer, when I compared the 2, let me ears decide, well, I’ve had a dedicated streamer ever since.  Good Luck. 

Wow, hope this guy is not a doctor. Oh and if it is anything that he doesn’t own then it’s junk. 

pennfootball71

169 posts

If it came with the amp it’s worth nothing because it was free! They are using junk little tiny boards and OP amps!

So yes you need a better DAC and better streamer!

plan on a budget if 5-10k each and another 2k for each for proper cables! 

I do get the idea that better-built DACs offer better sound. But streamers? As long as the input is right, no stuttering, not much noise, etc? I'd like to invest in a streamer if I was sure it actually performed better than my laptop. And a clear description of how I would relieably hear the difference. If not, I will probably use my money on a better DAC, instead.

o_holter

... I’d like to invest in a streamer if I was sure it actually performed better than my laptop ...

Any good audio dealer would be happy to offer you a demo that would include a nice streamer and your laptop. Nothing equals hearing it for yourself.

@danb99 

Re: Mac Mini, it depends on what you need.

First off, keep in mind that you have a streamer built into your amp. There's no need to buy another box to get streaming capability. If you need more info on how to best use it, I suggest contacting Hegel to get their advice.

Here are my thoughts:

If you only want to stream from Apple Music, you're probably better off just using AirPlay and your iPhone. Adding a Mac Mini would only complicate matters in terms of remote control. Also note that the Music app on macOS doesn't perform automatic sample rate switching. Instead, it will resample the audio data to whatever is set in the Audio MIDI system app.

If you have music files stored on the Mac Mini that you want to playback on the Hegel, I suggest installing a free program called Kodi. This will turn the Mac into a UPnP server with the Hegel set as the client (or 'renderer' in UPnP speak). You can control playback using the Kodi web interface or from your phone using a remote control app called Yatse. There's no need to directly connect the Mac to the amp using USB - it will stream the audio data over your local network. See the links below for more information.

If you'd like to try another streaming service such as Qobuz or TIDAL, I suggest using the mConnect HD Player app on your iPhone. Tap on 'Play to' in the top left corner and select your Hegel from the list that appears. Then tap on the music service and supply your username and password.

Kodi homepage - link

Kodi - how to add music to the Kodi library - link

Kodi - how to set up UPnP - link

Kodi - how to set up remote control - link

Here's a link to a short tutorial on UPnP if you need more info - link.

mConnect Player HD - link