moving i tune from one computer to another

is it possible to move the content of i tune from one computer to another, i hated to re-rip all the cd again
thanks
a1126lin
new pc? Wiping and reinstalling the OS? gETTING A NEW ONE AND GIVING THE OLD AWAY?

Not sure what you are asking exactly.

The files themselves can be copied onto a portable hard drive, such as a USB or NAS network hard drive. Or you can simply network the two pc's together and copy them onto the new/second confuser.

If you are asking can everthing be exactly the same on the new comfuser?

Maybe, but it will take duplicating the files and their exact locations onto the new pc. and then copying the Itunes library data base onto the second/nre pc AS WELL, AS A REPLACEMENT... NOT IN ADDITION TOO.

if everything you have ripped is on the C drive and in the default iTunes loccations, this event will be simpler.

BTW there is software on the web which will clone your hard drive (s), exactly... and/or portions of it. acronis... Ghost... etc. onto the new pc.

you may not want to do this especially if the new unit is a different operating system on it. Although I do believe there are applications which will only copy portions of the old disc as well, and not dupe it 100%.

I assume you don't want to lose your playlists... your playlists are located in your library file (.itl) in your itunes folder. The only problem with copying it and pasting it onto the new pc is ALL the associated files must be in the exact same folders and partition (s) on the new unit. you'll get the 'not found would you like to look for it' message everytime you want to play any file.

EX... location of Little Feat's Fatman in the bathtub on the old pc is in:
C\my music\itunes\little feat\waiting for columbus\disc 1\Fatman in the bathtub

...then it'll have to be in the exact same location on the new pc, if the .itl data file is copied from the old pc and placed into the new one as the default datavbase file. All of them will have to be exactly in the same places as they were in the previous computer. Even if you use the export playlist feature in itunes.

Or... you can just copy all the files into the new pc, install itunes, and then tell itunes to find them, and begin new playlists.

This time around however put them all onto an outboard drive... or two (backed up), and keep them there so you won't have to go thru all this again.

re-ripping several hundred Gigabits of info is definitely no fun... I've done it twice now. No one told me about the 'error free' aspect or 'lossless' ideas for ripping and playing back via hard disc drives used as a source.

Remember, in case of fire... grab the hard drive!!

Good luck.
the hard disc on the old laptop is full, so i need to move the file to either an external drive or new notebook with a larger HD
i am using window xp (old computer ) to window vista, i remember i did that once and when i open itune, i don't see the play list?
IF you have an external hard drive you can route the existing iTunes libray there easily. I did that when I bought a Drobo and it was a snap. iTunes can direct you through help on how to do that.
The latest iTunes version has an export function. You can export your iTunes account to CD-Roms (it will tell you how many you need and automatically backup across them). Just install iTunes on the new machine and use the import function. iTunes will restore your account and you're back in business.
Interesting - I've contacted Itune's supportabout syncing my library that was 1) linked to an 'original' computer that crapped out and 2)backed up on an external drive. I can sync the ipod to the new computer , however, the only songs that are'allowed' to come over are the ones purchased via the Itunes store, any that I burned via cd need to be re-burned