Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
"Poll most audiophiles and you may find that among many 'hardcore' ones, anyway, they not only often trace their interest back into their childhood, but can also relate it to even a specific event - a moment in which things crystallized for them, and some kind of dream is born. I know I can. But, maybe I'm right about that and maybe I'm not, I guess."

You nailed it exactly in my case!

When I was about 5 years old, I became fascinated with records and record players. The one I had did not work very well though. One day, I was twiddling with it and got a nice electrical shock. I've been a glutton for punishment ever since!

That's a true story, but seriously, I don't need anyone else to love listening to my system. I'm by far the most picky about what sounds good to me. It's a non-issue for most everyone else. THough I am glad to listen and share together when opportunities present themselves.
Mapman: :) My parents had a Gerrard console that was built-in to a living room cabinet. Not the greatest fidelity, by any stretch, but it was STEREO - something rather rare among anyone I knew in the early 60's. I was turning 5 at the time and I still remember it just plain doing a number on my young imagination! Also recall consciously vowing to one day get a job like my Dad (whatever the heck THAT was...!) and someday learn what it would take to get a good stereo, just as soon as I was old enough to be on my own...
It’s too hard. If you’re an enthusiast of most higher endeavors, e.g., exotic cars, watches, etc., you get what you pay for; and it’s instant gratification. If you learn how to drive a Bugatti, it will perform as expected and never be outperformed by a Porsche. Not so with audio. You can spend your life's savings and years fidgeting with your system and still not come close to achieving what you set out to do.
Phaelon, The Bugatti is a total package not parts you put together. At a time when I first started in audio, there were few manufacturers, so you had a Dyna, Heath, Marantz, etc. system or at least their electronics. Also, what do you "not outperformed by a Porsche? In mileage, it might be.

I think it is just a matter of what else you might spend your money and time on. I had receivers and speakers, no television, no computer, only a land line with long distance charges, no earbuds or Iphones, and I was poor. With today's youth, there is time only to text.
"The Bugatti is a total package not parts you put together.”

Hi Tbg. I don’t think we disagree. In fact, I think you just made the point I was trying to make rather better than I did. Sticking with the Bugatti example, one could collect of all of the parts necessary to construct a Bugatti or any other exotic he desires. How many people would have the vision and knowhow to build one? And if your audio plan is to engage one of the self proclaimed experts in our hobby, you better be lucky. Back to the Bugatti example, the expert would take those parts and build you something that will drive... and perhaps very nicely. But still, there was the unrealized potential of a Bugatti.