Audiophilia: Is it the pursuit of audio excellence or just a desire to tinker.

So my wife made this observation after I spent a couple hours fiddle farting with cables, connections and speaker placements. She said is this hobby/obsession your desire for audio excellence, or just you like tinkering with stuff, tweaking your system and feeding your OCD? 

She said you try this and try that and guess what it all sound the same to me. She really knows me and my OCD. 

Enjoy your Sunday.  

jacobsdad2000

@curiousjim I try to sit for at least 2 hours in the evening and truly listen, not background noise, but spin up some LP's and fire up the tubes and really listen. Helps me to power down after spending the day fixing the world's problems, well at least the problems in my world. 🤔

Easy question!  It's different things for different people.  Personally, I've always found it odd or difficult to think of what we do as a "hobby", per se.  For some, especially those like The Princess and the Pea, who just can't stop tinkering with their systems, I suppose it's more like a hobby.  Regardless, the common thread, I think, is a powerful love of music.  Some folks are content listening to tunes on a car radio, transistor radio, etc. and probably think audiophiles are nuts for spending the amounts of money we do on our sound systems.  This doesn't mean they don't like music.  They just don't care as much as we do about the quality of the reproduction of that music.  I don't trust anyone who claims not to like music!

I am amazed by the fact that many people had not discovered that there is a difference between tinkering at random or doing it with a method ...

When you do it with a method you reach an optimal threshold acoustically some day and you are done with these level of design/cost components you were using ... You are happy with them...

You can then upgrade or not ...The cost will be very high compared to what you have now well embedded ..

Most of the times you dont want to upgrade as an obsession because when the success was reached when a method of embeddings controls is applied with many low cost components but synergetical good one , you are in ectasy listening music in an acoustic immersive experrience ... Why upgrading now ?

The cost will be very high , in my case 700 bucks headphone/speakers system to a 10,000 probably more 15,000 bucks more for improvement mainly with better dac and BACCH filters and new speakers ...

I dont even dream about it because i am in ectasy every evening ... Am i deaf and easily satisfied ? Trust me i am not acoustically easily satisfied then , my system cost is not a stopgap ...The solution is buying the good basic synergetical components and after that a method to solve embeddings control problems , nevermind the components cost...😊

Tinkering at random and upgrading at random in buying spree is not and was not my hobby save the 10 years during which i learned the hard way what i must learn to create my acoustic heaven ...The first in my 72 years old audio journey ....

My situation improved the day i begun to read about acoustics and the day i dare to try to modify my 9 headphones because they were all artificial sound nevermind their types and i tried to experiment in my room ...

@jacobsdad2000 

No question about it. The more devoted to tinkering the stronger the audiophile mania. I'm an easy one to explain. I am a tool freak and have been building stuff since I was 13. But, how do you explain a guy that has trouble with a screwdriver tinkering away with whatever they can manage? I know several of them. 

There are levels of tinkering from fiddling with speaker placement to building your own loudspeakers, all with the goal better sound. Where does this come from in us? What evolutionary process developed this instinct? Certainly, if you hear better you can pick up your enemies earlier trouncing through the forest.  @mahgister  can pick up a mole at 50 yards. 

It is not that i can pick up a mole at 50 yards... It is not true... 😊 You mock me or over estimate me .... In the two case i like your humoristic way to say it ...

Learning a bit more dont make you better than others for spotting mole at some distance ...

It is the fact that i did not pursuit my tail confusing it with a mole near me ... I did not confuse playing at random and tinkering with solving problems at some moment in my journey, lately Alas! ...I did not confuse the price tag of the gun with the identification of the mole ...And my goal was enjoying a meal made of this mole not playing with a costly gun ...😊

@mahgister can pick up a mole at 50 yards.