Why Streaming Service Sounds ‘Flat’ vs Tune In /Local FM /Radio Paradise

I use a Bluesound Node, first or second gen I believe.

I use the S/PDIF output feeding my Esoteric K-07X CD/DAC using it as a DAC.

I find that CD’s, most things using Tune In, and local FM listening sound better than  streaming either Tidal or Qobuz. 

For the life of me, I can’t figure why that might be, since all are using the K-07X internal DAC. I can understand the CD, as it’s internal, with no S/PDIF cable to possibly muck things up. FWIW, I’m using the Illuminati/Kimber D-60 as my digital cable.

Any thoughts appreciated.

james_edward

@james_edward 

I have the Node 130 (the one after the 2i), and find the SQ superb with Qobuz and Tidal, with hi-res, well-recorded music (equivalent to LP quality).  But the 130 may have significant improvements over the 1st and 2nd generation Nodes, which I haven't auditioned.  I have three ideas for you:

1) use the Diagnostics function in the BluOS system Settings to check your Wi-fi signal strength, if you're not using a hardwired internet connection to the Node.  It needs to rate "Excellent" to successfully stream hi-res, although I think a weak signal would be more likely to cause dropouts or buffering than impair fidelity.

2) Try using a USB cable from the Node to the DAC, if possible.

3) Be sure to compare apples with apples--e.g., the same album on the Node as the CD you're using, and try a few different albums, preferably ones that are well-recorded in the first place.

I second soix's sentiment about the source being the mismatch. As concerns Innuos, I'd recommend the Pulse as a viable streamer-only to the Esoteric CD/DAC.  I've only performed a trial listening session with the Pulse Mini and Innuos' Sense APP and was quite impressed with both.

You also won't need a linear power supply and expensive cabling connecting power to the streamer as the Innuos Pulse incorporates a toroidal transformer built-in along with appropriate damping and separation. The Pulse integrates medical grade IEC along with it's newly upgraded linear power supply found in more expensive models. It was the inclusion of this intensely designed and integrated linear PSU at this price point that has drawn many to the Pulse. This is true for those who believe that clean power plays a big part in a server/streamer’s playback capability.

The Node might be a limiting factor.  It certainly is more downmarket than the rest of the OP system.  However I can’t figure out why Internet Radio would sound better than the 2 high resolution streaming services.  I had the Node for a while and while the Internet Radio quality was good it was clearly bested by Qobuz.

OP I would recommend trying a better streamer but make sure you do a home trial first

@mwinkc 

An iPhone connecting with a car Bluetooth or is a streamer.  Streamers are networking computers that can play music obtained from the internet (and other sources) and play them through an audio system.