What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
An update--I am holding off on the purchase temporarily: I have a birthday in February, and that seems like a fine occasion for this purchase. I'm down to one of three choices:

1) Inexpensive: The Moon Dac at http://www.pacificvalve.us/GigaMoon.html seems in many respects similar to the Gigalabs and Keces models. Buying it domestically might offer certain advantages.

2) Moderate: I'll have to decide between the Cambridge Audio dacMagic or one of the new offerings from Scott Nixon. The former has fine reviews and offers many options. The latter, however, works with just one input type rather than many, and I can't help but wonder if that focus might yield a better product. His past DACs have been received favourably, and I'm eager to hear about the latest offerings.
Oh wow! I'm a student at UT. Hilarious to see a link to UT's website from an audio forum. I have the Blue Circle USB Thingee, if you would like to hear it, I'm sure we could arrange something, but it would have to be soon as I leave for my co-op residence on the 26th.
Prof,

I use a DacMagic with my digital piano via Mac into a quality stereo as a supplement to the piano's internal sound system. It sounds great! I use a Benchmark DAC-1 in my main system. In order for direct comparion, I hauled the DacMagic, (all 3 lbs of it) up into the listening room for a brief comparo. They sound quite different, but in that system both sounded wonderful. My preference changed with the source material! I'm afraid that personal taste will overwhelm other considerations in this decision. The only piece of advice I can offer - try to audition in your application before you buy. Always good advice, but really critical here - IMHO.

The comparison also leads me to blieve that the DacMagic (and perhaps many other current models in this price range)ofeer(s) excellent value.

Good Luck

Marty
Marty, thanks for the review of the DacMagic.

To the OP, add the Nuforce Icon to your list.