What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
A little more information:

Model Price Type / Chip Inputs Outputs Other

Cambridge Audio DacMagic
$399
US
USB, Coax, Optical
RCA/XLR

KECES 151 USB DAC
$225
US/Burr Brown PCM 2702 ME49710 OP-Amp
USB
RCA (No Headphone)

Musical Fidelity V-DAC
$300 US
USB, Coax, Optical
RCA (No headphone)
Some reviews prefer DacMagic

Musiland MD 10 USB DAC
$300 US/CS4398
USB, Coax, Optical, BNC
RCA, Headphone

Styleaudio Carat HD1-V
L130
US/Burr Brown PCM2704
USB Optical
RCA /Headphone
Headphone output weak

Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
$280 US/AD1955 SPDIF, Coaxial, USB, analog input (RCA)
RCA / Headphone
Remote Control / Superior headphone amp

Giga Lab Moon DAC
$185
NOS 1543
USB, Coax, Optical
RCA (No headphone)

Vintage Audio Lab DAC
$180 NOS TDA 1543
USB / RCA /Coax/optical
RCA (No headphone)
capacitors for each DAC may not be what is claimed in literature: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/valab-dac-first-impressions-378459/index5.html

So, if I go budget, I'm leaning toward the Vintage Audio Lab; if I splurge, I think that the Cambridge Audio may be the way to go.

If anyone here owns any of these products and would like to comment....

Best,

MP
It's not enough to simply have a USB input on a DAC. Implementation is tricky and only a few manufacturers are doing a really good job of it. (I've ordered a Keces to check it out.) For example, with my Bel Canto DAC3, I prefer Toslink out of my Mac Mini to USB out to the Bel Canto's USB input. Bel Canto has just introduced an accessory box to convert USB to S/PDIF. They claim superior sonics as well as 24/96 capability. You are definitely not hearing the Bel Canto at its best when using the USB input. And they are not alone in this regard -- most manufacturers are not doing USB right.
I've thought about taking that route but wondered if having one more converter in the line would be a plus or a minus. Do you have an idea how much the Bel Canto accessory box will cost? A product like that would open a wider range of DAC options.

While I realize that getting the USB connection set is tricky, I wonder if the new crop of DACs have the wrinkles ironed out? The DacMagic is getting pretty good reviews.
Most of the USB DAC chips used are not up to the task at hand. There are only a handful of DACs that "properly" implement the use of USB, i.e. the Benchmark DAC-1 (which has other deterrents). You'll repeatedly see chips such as the PCM2702/4/7 and CS102-108 turning up in these products. Bel Canto is a fairly expensive DAC that is looking to better the USB connection, however I'd prefer it in one box not two. Not to say, as an above poster, that having everything in one box improves sound quality. If it's done right it can. A poorly designed or built integrated amp will suffer as ideally these units will have separation between them. Still less expensive when built properly?
The Bel Canto box is $500. Includes a short length of Stereovox digital cable. I don't believe they are gouging us at this price. Rather, it shows what it takes to do USB right.