What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
Considering the dozens of choices that is a bit of a "short list". ;)

I've considered several possibilites as well over the last year or two. So what did I end up with? A pro rather than consumer audio piece in the Focusrite Saffire Le which connects the computer via firewire. I also have a NOS tube DAC in the Paradisea+ (non-USB version).

www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_le/
I have a piece of hardware similar to the Focusrite--an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I use for dumping midi and misc. audio into ProTools. While I find this to a useful piece of hardware, I never considered the output to be that good. I suspect that the DACs with the M-Audio aren't quite as good as those in the Focusrite.

The M-Audio does offer digital output, however. I wonder if I could use that with a non-USB DAC but remain concerned that it would be one more piece of equipment (and an extra variable) in the line.

I placed an offer for an iRoc that's listed on this forum, but I doubt the seller will consider it as it is worth much more than I can afford to offer for now.
Sub $350 you should seriously consider the Audiosector. You might also consider the VALAB DAC (which sell on eBay under Vintage Audio Labs) for $180. I have seen a used iRoc DAC go for as low as $485 recently.

One other to consider is the Audio Magus MagiDAC. Looks good on paper.

I just visited the Audio Magus site, and I don't see the MagiDac listed. Is that a discontinued item? If so, perhaps I can find a used one at a good price.

I am both excited and riddled with indecision as it seems that there are a number of possibilities, even buying new, that match my budget.

I'll keep posting as I move forward just in case someone else is considering a similar purchase.

At the risk of perseverating, thank you once again to all for your valuable advice.

Best,

--Patrick

OK, since the OP has generously undertaken to inform the curious of his discoveries... there are two DACs at the low end which interest me. One is the Beresford, from the U.K.

http://www.beresford.me/others/main.html

and the other is the VALAB mentioned above, which is made by an outfit in Taiwan and sold on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Vintage-Audio-Lab

I would use such a converter with a computer-based portable system if its sound were better than that of my M-Audio Audiophile USB external.

I tend towards the VALAB DAC because their description on eBay is wonderfully enticing. The unit is said to be "sweat sounding", and I'm sure that would be great for rock.