What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
Given that Mr. Moore lives within driving distance from me, that is quite attractive.

A little searching makes me think that his products even at a used price might fall well outside my price range. I'll keep an eye open just in case!!!

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to drop him a line either...

Best,

--Patrick

Considering the dozens of choices that is a bit of a "short list". ;)

I've considered several possibilites as well over the last year or two. So what did I end up with? A pro rather than consumer audio piece in the Focusrite Saffire Le which connects the computer via firewire. I also have a NOS tube DAC in the Paradisea+ (non-USB version).

www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_le/
I have a piece of hardware similar to the Focusrite--an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I use for dumping midi and misc. audio into ProTools. While I find this to a useful piece of hardware, I never considered the output to be that good. I suspect that the DACs with the M-Audio aren't quite as good as those in the Focusrite.

The M-Audio does offer digital output, however. I wonder if I could use that with a non-USB DAC but remain concerned that it would be one more piece of equipment (and an extra variable) in the line.

I placed an offer for an iRoc that's listed on this forum, but I doubt the seller will consider it as it is worth much more than I can afford to offer for now.
Sub $350 you should seriously consider the Audiosector. You might also consider the VALAB DAC (which sell on eBay under Vintage Audio Labs) for $180. I have seen a used iRoc DAC go for as low as $485 recently.

One other to consider is the Audio Magus MagiDAC. Looks good on paper.

I just visited the Audio Magus site, and I don't see the MagiDac listed. Is that a discontinued item? If so, perhaps I can find a used one at a good price.

I am both excited and riddled with indecision as it seems that there are a number of possibilities, even buying new, that match my budget.

I'll keep posting as I move forward just in case someone else is considering a similar purchase.

At the risk of perseverating, thank you once again to all for your valuable advice.

Best,

--Patrick