Musical Fidelity's USB Ready V DAC

Having just noticed this on Music Direct's site, I was wondering if this might be THE new, USB ready, giant killing DAC for < $500?

Or would V stand for "voodoo", as used in their tube buffer device, one of which I have collecting dust in my cupboard?

Any and all information/speculation greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
cwlondon
There are a few comments about PRaT on the Head-Fi thread but there are many more comments praising the musicality. There are also some comparisons in that thread between the V Dac and the CA DACMagic 2 and my read is that the majority prefer the V Dac. I have not heard the V Dac, but I do not think my MF A3.24 has "bleached tonality". I think it really depends on what type of sound you like.
No bleached tonality with my A3CR amp either. It was Stereophile Class A recommended as well, I believe, for whatever it is worth.

Greeni, can you be more specific which MF products exhibit this?
Mapman,

The Trivista SACD player is the MF product I had, but I also noticed the bleached tonality and PRaT issue with a few other MF products that crossed my path. I couldn't put in more eloquantly than Art Dudley in his Stereophile review of another MF product last year:

"There was a colorless, almost chalky quality to instrumental timbres, such as the flutes in conductor Odd Gruner-Hegge's great recording of Grieg's incidental music for Peer Gynt (LP, RCA Victrola VICS-1067), which sounded gray instead of silver. And while dynamic contrasts seemed wide enough in a superficial, hi-fi sort of way, music remained utterly unstirring, whether played soft or loud. The experience was, in fact, a sort of a paradigm for the kind of high-end performance that seems to get the sound right but misses the music. On record after record, I heard fine imaging but little real presence, superficially good pacing but little momentum. "

I am glad this is not an issue with you though.

Good thing that apparantly MF is improving on these issues with the V-DAC.
Dudley's review was for an integrated amp and this quote deals with how it matches with a particular high efficient speaker. He likes the integrated better with other speakers. But clearly this is not Dudley's favorite integrated. On the other hand, if you read his review of the kW DM25 Transport and D/A, he raves about the sound -

"The Musical Fidelity DM25 combination is among the most dramatic home audio components I've heard in any product category: "Like a Miyabi 47 cartridge with a laser and a remote," according to the notes I made one clearheaded night. Small dynamic surges that had otherwise escaped my attention now commanded it—as in violist Yuri Bashmet's own arrangement, for chamber orchestra and viola, of the Brahms Clarinet Quintet in b (CD, Sony Classical SK 60550)."

I think Fremer's review of the TriVista SACD player may point to your issue with MF.

"Whether it's because of the different sonic character of the "trivistor" tube or the Tri-Vista player's lower claimed jitter or distortion, the Tri-Vista sounded slightly richer, warmer, and darker than the Nu-Vista 3D. At first I was disappointed, but I eventually came to appreciate the Tri-Vista's smoother sound and greater resolution of low-level detail and spatial information. It was like listening to a speaker with a flatter HF response: At first it can sound dull and lacking in resolution, because the ear can confuse edgy peaks with "resolution.""

In the comparisons between the V-DAC and the CA DACMagic 2 the people who like V-DAC like its musicality whereas the people who like the DacMagic 2 like its detail. I listened to the CA 840C and as first liked the detail and PRaT, but found it fatiging over time with a disjointed analytic sound. My MF, but comparison, has a rich smoothness that I can listen to for hours. It sounds a lot like my Classe CDP 10. My guess is you would like the DACmagic 2 over the V-DAC, whereas I would go the other way. Different people like different sounds - part of what makes this hobby fun.

Glad to hear that Musical Fidelity products have't lost their ability to polarize the audience!

Does anyone know who their head of marketing was during the most glowing reviews in Stereophile?