Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Hi fi is not branded in a way that gives identity, Hi fi tends to reflect ones personality than something to aspire to - that is unless you shop at from some pretentious git.

A car/ house/ clothes/ watch buy you an image - Hi Fi doesn't, unless it reflects a generation in a generic way - ie 80's walkman, 00's IPod. They were not about quality but the status is of cool convenience.

People appreciate Hi Fi who really like and listen to music, there is some 'bling' to it, but only amongst those into it.

Take pride in the fact that your ears and tastes dictate this aspect of your life, and don;t follow the crowd.

Lohan
With cell phones, music and intercom in all retail stores now, high noise level in many work enviroments, traffic, trains, jets,planes, and boom box car stereos, etc...maybe people just want to rest their ears when they get home.
Few people have ever developed a musical sense of sound, especially that of acoustic instruments and their subtleties. I suspect this is because the pop music with which we are inundated in public places and on most radio stations was essentially made for harsh Sony and Alpine car systems w/ thumpin' bass, or for computer speakers, or even for phones and MP3 players. It was conceived of from its very beginning as a sequence of thumps, saccharine riffs, insipid squeaking, anything but a rich and complex mix of tones. If that's what people want to listen to, I certainly don't begrudge them that... but to such people, the refinements of AR and Vandersteen are understandably irrelevant.
We live in a visual world....listening to music requires an attention committment most will not make...many have not been raised to play instruments or love music.
""Audiophile" recording techniques work best on acoustic music, so it's unlikely that many "audiophile" recordings of hard rock, hip hop, R&B, or rap will be produced. These are the kinds of music that appeal to the largest segment of the public today"
wanderingbob Jul-19-02 Audioreview.com

This was posted back when Audioreview was the best audio site on the internet IMO.

It all starts at the source and if no audiophile recordings exist, why spend big $$$ on an audiophile system. EG if you listen to crap recordings, why get a high resolution system which will only uncover more of the recording crap?
Bad recordings sound worse on a hi-res system than a low res system.