Pass Labs 1st Watt Rundown

I have become intrigued with the 1st Watt series and I am trying to wrap my head around the series and the differences within the series, but the internet discussions seem shallow.

Can anyone give me a rundown of the different models, versions, whatever?

What are the differences from one to another?

Did the newer iterations correct problems of the previous models and what were they, or did they simply address differences in power?

Stereo? Monoblocks?

What pre's and the sensitivity of the speakers you used with them.

Anything else you can think of as to characteristics of the different models.

Thanks

128x128tonydennison

You simply have to take the plunge. No matter someone’s experience, that doesn’t inform you of what yours will be. 

Me, I’ve owned the J2 and F5. Each were very good amps. And I was driving Martin Logan’s at the time. But 25 watts was more than enough to drive the 91dB ML’s. 

I have a 20x20 family room that serves as my Pass/First Watt DIY venue. If there is a common denominator it is what I hear as purity of sound. A friend likes to say that power and purity are at odds in audio equipment. He’s a low-power tube and First Watt fan. I suppose you can have both if you spend enough money. But in general,  You simply decide that you accept power limitations and some heat  in exchange for a carefully curated Class A sound.I paired a set of 95-db speakers with an M2 diy versión and a Pass NuTube preamp, also a diy project, and find absolutely nothing to complain about. I have also used that amp/pre combo to drive small Magnepans, not to very loud levels but to very satisfying results. Rock & roll? Forget it. Classical, folk, acoustic jazz trio? Go for it. 

@tonydennison there’s a nice XA30.5 on USAM here

This would be my choice in the $3000 price range, now that you’re talking Pass Labs amps here, before any of the First Watt offerings (and as a continuation of your other thread). I’m not saying it sounds like tubes, but…it’s warm, detailed, musical, with incredible mids and throws a nice holographic soundstage. It’s a higher end amp than the First Watt. Class A up to 30w, then A/B up to around 90w into 8ohms. It’s less likely to run out of juice and is a more universal amp than the FW. I drove my Wilson Audio Sabrina with the XA30.8, the latest iteration of XA30 amps. Great sound. Something to consider as an alternative to First Watt.