Do NOT Blow Your Entire Budget on Two Channel Audio

Yes, two channel audio is here, and is not going away. However, object based audio is delightful, widely available on Tidal and Apple Music, and should be in the listening room of every music lover on the planet, not just "audiophiles. If you plan to be a music fan a year from now start building your object based audio system today. You will need:

1) A receiver/processor capable of Dolby Atmos.

2) A subscription to Tidal or Apple music.

3) A Firestick, ATV, or Nvidia Shield.

4) A minimum of 7 timber matched speakers and a subwoofer.

Once you experienced stereo would you ever go back to only mono? No, you would build a system capable of either mono or stereo. Now that object based audio has arrived do the same thing. Build a system capable of mono, stereo, AND object based audio. When Elton John heard Rocket Man in an object based format for the first time why did he demand to convert his entire catalog to Atmos? If you don’t know, then you need to go listen to Rocket Man in a good Atmos setup ASAP.

So, take your budget, DIVERSIFY, and get a good Atmos capable receiver or processor. Object based audio is NOT last decades surround sound or home theater. It is for MUSIC first, if you need a recommendation on how to allocate your budget feel free to post a question. Most importantly, you don’t NEED two systems, one for music and one for movies. A good object based audio system can play two channel music just fine. A two channel system on the other hand can’t play object based audio without a proper processor or receiver.

Greg Penny talks mixing Rocket Man in Atmos.

https://youtu.be/ggzfcUKDqdo?feature=shared

kota1

@oddiofyl 

I ditched 5.1 20 years ago and never looked back.

That's exactly why I started this thread. Object based audio is NOT surround sound and many music enthusiasts such as yourself got burned by "surround sound". The content is already available on Tidal and Apple Music.

Post removed 

@soix 

You lost me at “object-based audio.”

I realize your are a two channel expert and may feel no need to try the new object based format. If you want a breakdown here is a good article link:

What Is Immersive Sound

@akg_ca

It’s not gonna fly for many of us, IMO

100% true, I get that, but as you can tell, the content is already widely available so that isn’t an excuse. If you look at my system that would NOT be a fit for the majority of people, it’s setup more like a mix stage, I get it. My point is to allocate some budget to object based audio given it is so refreshing and becoming widely adopted by the artists and content producers, it may as well be enjoyed by as many people as possible. For people that already have a 5.1 system it is as simple as mounting some small speakers high on the wall in the front and back of the room.

Atmos on the wall or bouncing & AVR Setup... - AVS Forum | Home Theater ...

@elliottbnewcombjr 

Historically ’good enough’ wins.

True, my desktop system is "good enough" but if you look at the virtual systems here WOW, I guess we all have different standards of what "enough" is. For the "good enough" community you have Spotify, a phone and ear buds. Even this community can get a "good enough" upgrade by getting an apple music subscription and some air pods.

Object Based is the opposite: very complicated,

Again, exactly why I started this thread, to raise the veil and shine a light on how easy it is to consume the object based content many members already have access to via streaming. Are atmos capable processors more complicated than a turntable? Nope, I could not install a cartridge without some type of training either.