What the benifit of using a separate dac?

Hi, I have a Sim Audio Moon Exclipse Cd Player, my question is what's the benifit of using a separate DAC, when do you know that your player is out dated to the point that you need to upgrade or are you better to use a external dac.Using the digital out put of the cd player are you by passing all internal clock and dac's etc, then the player becomes just a transport? Is there is a benifit to be gained by doing this, what sort of dac would you look for, what the differance between the better brands? I currently have Pass labs X1 pre and x350.5 power, mit 3.1 speaker cables, 2.2 interconnects and Talon firebird speaker, Iam only interested in red book, would be great if any body could shed some light on this subject for me.
k_rose
Isn't there a book about this - something like "Zen and the Art of Audio Equipment Maintenance"?
Why mod?? I think it only makes sense when you have a well made and properly designed circuit where the manufacturer used sufficent components. Impovement can be made substituting better sonic quality components. Of course this is a topic with all kinds of qualifiers....but in my experience it has been a good one and well worth it.

Wave & Jacks

My point from the onset is or was to illuminate further the curious lack of objective press reviews on the outcomes of after market mods of audio gear.

To that end, both courses of action before the facts were for proposed advantages or increases to performance. One being a scooter, the latter our audio apparatus.

The bike upgrades had better representation via the industry press. The theme here is tantamount to the same province, "imcreasing performance or improvements" via the same sort of after market enhancements... albeit without the same publicized notoriety.

I subscribed to, bought, and utilized those speculative hot rod modifications costing me thousands then due primarily to the coverage the industry press printed about them, by and large.

My last statement pointed to just that item… mo’ press from non invested reviews would lessen the leap of faith required to pursue these measures.

Sorry if it wasn’t clearer.

I’m not haranguing audio modifiers here but merely pointing out a viably solid path to quell reticence, or eliminate it altogether from the minds of those seriously interested in attaining said levels of augmentation

As for myself, I’m thinking to ask for a couple grand or more with but a subjective promise up front could well be fortified still further by such credible monologues ….

Truth be told, I find it curious such accounts aren’t ongoing and at least the now and then sorts.
Blindjim - just to toss monkey wrench: Empirical Audio converts upsampling jitter rejecting DAC (Benchmark DAC1) to NOS non-jitter rejecting DAC (plus other improvements) -you might be sorry with cheap transport and cable. I'm pretty sure Steve from Empirical Audio advices customers but others might not. The point is that modds sometimes can change functionality/make it worse and customer has to be informed.

I even suspect that some mods might introduce a little of harmonic distortions that Benchmark is free of to make sound more lively and less sterile (less clean).
Kijanki

My modding plans surround my Bel Canto DAC3 initially, and following that operation, perhaps an Oppo refference DVD player I believe I'm going to get as I'm going to go largely with the PC as a source now.

But that's an interesting point too, as each time I
've replaced an item with some likewise yet different thing, there has always been the need to re-address some of the cabling... or footers... or tubes.

it's seldom been a plug and play event. I suspect once a thing is 'changed' it would be the same deal again.

BTW it was because of the press and my limited talks with the Benchmark makers that sent me away from previewing that piece altogether.