Rock and roll speakers?

Is/are there a brand/model of speaker that is better suited/build to play classic rock/hard rock and symphonic music fairly loud?
Speakers will be powered by two Sony 333 ES AMPS.
Budget is around 1500 dollars, preferably used, and I can rebuild or upgrade as needed.
Thanks.
rockanroller
I've no idea why this is happening all of a sudden as there are several recent threads on this forum asking about the ideal speaker for a certain genre of music.

Examples: the best speaker for: electronia, death metal, 80s rock, etc.

This is the most common myth about speakers out there!

If the speaker is good for one genre, its good for another, plain and simple- the speaker does not care what music you play through it as long as you don't toast a driver.

Some people say you need volume or bass impact and this is certainly true- for all musical genres. Those happen to be good things that are found in good speakers. That really is the end of the story.

One is better off trying to sort out what speakers are more efficient, wider range, with the best detail and imaging, and then sorting out what sort of amp drives them best, as the latter is likely far more important, since some speakers favor tubes while others favor transistors.

I for one like to push things hard and I like tube amps, so one of the best speakers made for all types of music is the Classic Audio Loudspeakers model T-1 or T-3 (I have the T-3s), either of which are about 98 db 1 watt/1 meter, are 16 ohms (favors tubes IOW) and go down to 20Hz with no need of a subwoofer, yet are detailed and as fast as the best ESLs.
"If the speaker is good for one genre, its good for another, plain and simple"

I agree with that. I think the questions come more from teh perspective of finding speakers on a limited budget that will tend to have more performance limitations. In that case, some speakers may well be found to do better in one genre than another.

Inexpensive speakers of good quality are usually more limited in overall magnitude of output and dynamics. Or some may go louder and clearer but be less refined otherwise. In any case, there is a significant compromise somewhere.

Some will provide more potential for dynamics and output levels that benefit some forms of music, like large scale classical works, rock, metal, big band, etc.

The best strategy on a limited budget is to forgo the lowest octaves, which requires the most to do well. Lots of ways to skin the cat once the power demands of the lowest frequencies are out of the picture. For a lot of rock/pop music in particular, it may not matter much if not much occurs below 50hz or so but the rest is good. Hence a good rock/pop speaker.
Ralph,

I agree with your comments. I have been a Maggie owner since 1983 and have used them for everything from jazz, folk and rock. When feed a proper diet and not pushed beyond their capabilities they have been thoroughly enjoyable regardless of genre.

The better question asked by a poster would be, "what speakers can I push really hard without fear of failure". At least that is often the way I read question like, "What is a good rock and roll speaker"?

Thus my usual reply, Klipsch, which play loud and hard and not easily damaged. Add a sub and you have a great head banging system. Their accuracy to the source is another story.
Ray I see you have Magnepan and Klipsch. That would seem to have all the bases covered pretty well. I had Maggies for years and listened to everything on them. I would not call them "rock and roll" speakers though. I just heard the latest and greatest Maggies again this past weekend and though impressive with most everything. I'm still not sure I would call them that. Reason being that to me at least you have to be able to feel rock and roll speakers on occasion as well as hear them. With most any speakers using non dynamic drivers, its usually all hear and little or no feel in most cases. Its a subtle distinction but an important one for a rock and roller though I think.