Audio Note digital

Kind of odd in that Audio Note digital gear gets rave reviews in many circles but when state of the art digital gets talked about its all reimyo, or dcs, or esoteric, etc.

For three years I have used a Modwright Sony player with tube power supply as my cd / sacd player (my main source). Last winter I had Response Audio build me a tricked out Audio Note Dac 2.1 to use with a squeezebox and thought I would give computer audio a go. The reality is that the Modwright and cds still blow the computer digital away (mostly streaming audio or ITune downloads) and find myself wondering why I have $3500+ invested in my second and less used source.

So I have been thinking:

1. do I sell the Modwright and buy an Audio Note transport or some other transport (which transport?) and do my Dac justice
2. do I stick with the Modwright and sell the Audio Note Dac and really streaming audio is fine through the squeezebox especially at low volume when I usually listen in the morning
3. sell everything and take a step up from my modwright - maybe something like the ayon cd1 or wadia

Are there Audio Note digital fans out there or is there forte set amps and hieff speakers.
ladavid
I use the usb out of my computer directly to the squeezebox and then into the audio note dac so not sure about the jitter with this. Certainly quality from computer doesn't compete with cd quality.

I have used lossless software - exact audio copy and express rip. Both are fussy to use and not very intuitive for an old dog to use. At end of day have been ripping some of my favourite cds to computer but what is point of having in two places and honestly the computer version is the poorer cousin to the cd through the modwright player.

Final issue is finding quality digital feeds. Streaming audio is inferior. itunes is fabulous and love the instant download of just about any new music (for example picked up tribute to Steve Goodman this week something I have never seen in any store) but quality is mostly inferior to the disk version. And have played a bit with new high quality downloads such as hd tracks but a) download was forever and b) still haven't figured out how to get it playing through the squeezebox!

So maybe I need computer audio 101 as Glide suggests because I would love if I could stream higher quality than my cd versions but I'm a long ways from being there. Meanwhile despite cd stores closing all around me still leaning towards trying out the transport and dac combo (haven't figured out how to run Modwright through the dac but have an Oppo 980 that looks pretty straight forward that might give a run this week).
Your A-N DAC 2.1 is near-SOTA and should be killer with a decent USB source, like a Mac (Mini or otherwise) USB to the DAC (what's with the Squeezebox????) playing CDs ripped **LOSSLESS** with error-correction **ON**.

I doubt you'll find a transport to beat that, perhaps at any price.
My I ask what Response Audio did to mod the 2.1?
I own a 2.1 Sig and would be interested in modding mine. Also what was the cost?
Thanks
Sheldon