Do Your Speakers have LEVEL CONTROLS or EQUALIZERS? (Vintage or Modern) ???

Do Your Speakers have LEVEL CONTROLS or EQUALIZERS? (Vintage or Modern)

MANY Vintage Speakers had/have Level Controls, and a few big speaker arrays had external equalizers.

Many of you know It’s my contention ALL SPEAKERS should have Level Controls, to refine their frequency distribution in your space at your positioning in that space, and re-adjust for any space you move/use them in.

L-Pads retain impedance shown to the crossover; Potentiometers alter what is shown to the crossover a bit.

Just stumbled about these

2 Altec Lansing speaker crossovers N800-8K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313970394857

JBL’s

Bose 901

My Uncle’s 1958 Fisher President II (Large 3 way, horns and big woofer) had/have 2 L-Pad level controls

AT-37’s used in many of their consoles and separates.

https://products.electrovoice.com/binary/AT37%20and%20AT38%20EDS.pdf

PRESENCE: for Mid-Range Horn’s Volume Control, relative to he 15" woofer with no control

BRILLIANCE: for Tweeter’s Horn’s Volume Control, relative to the mid-range.

My AR-2ax (compact 3 way cones) had/have 2 Level Controls

I just restored 2 pairs for my Office and Garage/Shop Systems

https://www.audiogon.com/systems/10092

MANY Vintage Speakers had/have Level Controls, and a few big speaker arrays had external equalizers.

Do Your Speakers have LEVEL CONTROLS or EQUALIZERS? (Vintage or Modern)

elliottbnewcombjr

This was exactly mine... I owned two sets...

They were too big for my desk ... i sold them BEFORE learning small room acoustic Alas! ...

@elliottbnewcombjr wrote:

Do Your Speakers have LEVEL CONTROLS or EQUALIZERS? (Vintage or Modern) ???

Sure, kind of; with outboard actively configured speakers just about the most elaborate kind of controls with everything from individual gain to each driver section, crossover points, delay, slopestyle and -steepness, etc. This is done via a digital crossover placed prior to amplification, and can be done from the listening position via a laptop/tablet realtime/on the fly. With the aid of measurements, the initial help from a friend well versed in this field, factory specs with recommendations and their measurements, lots of reading up and research plus countless hours of listening, the results have been fine-tuned to my specific acoustic environment and overall preference.

My Apollo speakers are very adjustable in both the time domain and the amplitude domain via digital crossovers. All crossover parameters are easily adjustable. Adjustments can be made on the fly via tablet and multiple setting can be saved. I can toggle from one setting to another from my listening chair to compare or for different listening needs. Passive room treatment first then DSP is applied.

My Vandersteen 1C’s have a high adjustment dial, my Vandersteen 2CE Sig’s have both mid and high adjustment dials, my Vandersteen Treo’s have neither.