Cary 303/300 or Musical Fidelity A5 with Mac gear?

Looking to upgrade from my Arcam cd player. Looking for a better source to match my Mac MC-207 and C-2200. The Arcam is ok but it isn't the smoothest or the fullest sounding player out there. Does have good detail though. Looking for some insight from other Audiogon members. Have borrowed a Mac MCD-201 and like it. It is better that the Arcam but its fuctions are alittle odd. Went looking for an Ayre CX7e but was told that Ayre isn't producing them currently and will not take orders for any (by my local dealer). I am open minded too, for other options, but top loaders will not work in my system. Any thoughts?? Would like to keep it at or under 4k too. Thanks!
hawkeye43
Looked into the Mac MCD500 but it's 6500.00 puts it out of the plan.  Found a used Cary 303/300 for around 2k.  Giving it some serious thought.  It seems like the right piece of gear.  But my heart is pulling me to the MF A5.  Drivng me crazy!

Another suggestion to me was the Marnatz SA11-s1. Most of my music is redbook cd's not SACD so hope it would be equal on both formats. 
Jylee, in what ways is the Onkyo superior? What are its performance characteristics? Have you actually heard the Cary and MF players?

Can you addresss performance aspects like resolution, musicality, tonality, dynamics, smoothness, transient response etc.
I had the Cary 303/300 and it was sweet. I followed that with the Marantz SA11s1. But, the one that REALLY knocked-me-out, is the Primare CD31. Outstanding build and sound. Not just for the price either. Stereophile has it listed in there class "A" componets list. It's speacial. Read the review. I'm using it now and it replaced a Meridian G08 and it spanked it right out of the box. Give it a try if you can, it could'nt hurt. Peace and Good listening, Pat.
Rackon,

I should have said Onkyo's _measured_ performance is superior to most other CD players mentioned in this thread. In that respect it's pretty close to highly regarded Benchmark or Bel Canto DAC. I don't own Onkyo. I have a Linn Unidisk because I need a universal player. But I'm quite surprised that a $400 CD player today has better measured performance than my Unidisk, and other highly rated players of yesteryears. The digital technology has come a long way especially in the last couple of years. If I were to start over again today, I wouldn't recommended any digital front end designed more than a couple of years ago. IMHO.
Psjulian,
I have been using a Primare cd31 for six days now and it sounds nice. It is a demo from a local dealer and it is completely run in. But, I'm not connecting with it. What amp, preamp and cables are you using with it?? Almost wonder if it is too laid back for my Mac gear. I have tried running it balanced into my preamp and running it through a Musical Fidelity tube buffer. Sounds better through the tube buffer. But still seems to lack dynamic punch. Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

David