Why Do Cables Matter?

To me, all you need is low L, C, and R. I run Mogami W3104 bi-wire from my McIntosh MAC7200 to my Martin Logan Theos. We all know that a chain is only as strong as its' weakest link - so I am honestly confused by all this cable discussion. 

What kind of wiring goes from the transistor or tube to the amplifier speaker binding post inside the amplifier? It is usually plain old 16 ga or 14 ga copper. Then we are supposed to install 5 - 10' or so of wallet-emptying, pipe-sized pure CU or AG with "special configurations" to the speaker terminals?

What kind of wiring is inside the speaker from the terminals to the crossover, and from the crossover to the drivers? Usually plain old 16 ga or 14 ga copper.

So you have "weak links" inside the amplifier, and inside the speaker, so why bother with mega expensive cabling between the two? It doesn't make logical sense to me. It makes more sense to match the quality of your speaker wires with the existing wires in the signal path [inside the amplifier and inside the speaker].

kinarow1

I’m saying that the audiophile view of cables is not one of science but religion. People on this forum and on YouTube along with salesmen at EXPONA

All I have to say… it’s Axpona. Get a real life dude. You are sick

@knownothing @yoyoyaya @tonywinga : you are wasting your time with this dude. Folks like this are a dime of dozens in the internet. I appreciate that, I have done that many times in the past. It’s an exercise in futility . These folks are all set. You will just waste your time and make you upset.

@tjag I think you make a good point about Paul of PS Audio, I've met him he seem like a great guy, what could make him pick another companies very expensive cables over PS Audio's own (I've bought them myself)? The answer is Paul needs to make money and he can make much more money selling Dragon cables than his own cables (especially at $34,100). Simple.

I spoke to some of the highest end cable makers at AXPONA this year they all told me the same thing they shrugged and said something like " I don't know why it woks it just does" the only exception was an old engineer at Beldon, I asked him how expensive cables between cheep PC traces, fuses, random connectors, internal speaker cable, crossovers, and on/off switches could justify expensive cables. He went off for 30 minutes about the speed of the signal, dialectrects and such. I said if the timing difference of the dialectrect was an issue why isn't the latency in digital circuits an issue? At least he had a reason no other manufacture had any idea why expensive cables made a difference.

@thyname Well I can say I believe @yoyoyaya is a recording engineer and he does know what he is talking about. I appreciate your advice and I'm learning you are right. I honestly wanted to see what the view of this group was about entropy and the bottleneck of components assuming that smart people pay a proper amount of money on a percentage basis to get the most out of their system. Best

I spoke to some of the highest end cable makers at AXPONA this year they all told me the same thing they shrugged and said something like " I don’t know why it woks it just does"

I call this BS. Please tell who was that. This never happens. I am 100% you made this up. Or you never talked to any of the cable manufacturers. Please share names & brands you talked to. I promise I will get to the bottom of this.

You have made the same made up claim before. Time to put names and faces to your claim

Well I can say I believe @yoyoyaya is a recording engineer and he does know what he is talking about.

Are you not a recording engineer of Oscar’s and Amy;s fame? If so, why do you have to drop names of other recording engineers?