Ethernet Switch- what's the point?

I run an Ethernet cable between my router (standard issue from Verizon) and my streaming transport. I note that some use an ethernet switch between between the router and streamer. Assuming I got that right, what is the point- what does a good switch do? I've been into audio since the 70's but when its comes to streaming, I'm definitely a newbie- 

Thanks all!

128x128zavato

Again @fredrik222 you are misrepresenting the facts in this thread. Be careful jumping up and down on that soapbox.

Soap Box GIFs | Tenor

Judging the OP’s system he has a system that is revealing enough if he had an Innuos product. SW-8 will more than likely do it for him or Fiber, then again maybe not.

my brother spent over $3k on his innuous Ethernet switch and it’s much better sound then mine. If you have a expensive setup the innuos is a must hear,

All I can say is that I just love the way my Eero wireless mesh network sounds. I do have a switch of some kind, which is also a modem, which feeds ethernet to the Eero unit and a has a few more outlets that are unused, so I guess I'm listening to that switch too. It sounds great. 

If you have a decent system, try the audiophile switch and hear what it does.

In my system both the LHY Sw 10 and the Sotm incl oxco and Keces, with audiophile fuse and powercord, works wonder.

The Lan cable just before the streaming device is also very importaint.

My next move will be to try the kaskade fiber trick between the switches.

Melco advokates to use the 100 Mb so that must be expiriensed as well.