user poll on seperates vs integrated

Hey guys, I wanted to try and crowd-source some (likely very opinionated, unscientific) knowledge.  I've read about the benefits of separates (have only ever used integrated myself), and I'm wondering how those benefits compare to the benefits of higher end parts/assembly, when controlled for cost.

To put it more plainly, would you likely get better overall results from a $5000 preamp and $5000 amp, or from a $10,000 integrated, given the likely quality/components used in equipment in those price ranges.

If you're experienced both separates, and integrated amps that cost the equivalent of those separate parts added together, can you speak to which you preferred?

Thanks for weighing in.

chrisryanhorner

I love separates @chrisryanhorner ​​​​​​ and they've been truly the way to go for me throughout my experience with hi-fi. Starting out as with anything, or as you advance along the way and upgrade your system and or try new products with a different sound. You always have that option of keeping things you like and changing out parts you don't. Also you never know what's coming down the pipe you may very well find something that you enjoy better down the road and don't have to sacrifice the entirety of your system to get it.

I have a few systems all based around different amplification (and DAC's). And each one offers something different.

Happy hunting and good luck.

I am very happy with my MOON Simaudio 700i integrated (current retail £15.5k or $16k). If I have one very, very minor grumble I would like a second balanced input.

I prefer using separates because I like using more than one power amp I started out with my tube amp and my tube pre amp and just recently bought Magnepan speakers l bought a D class amp with lots of watts/ccurrent for the Maggie’s So I like the ability to swap out my amps depending on the type of music I might be listening to I run RCA from one amp and XRL to the other the other to my tube pre amp l also use a high quality speaker switch

Separates,  easier to change out if you ever want to upgrade it's cheaper. And I think amps should be separated. 

You really want hi end sound.....Tube pre with a good Class D amp...The Audio-GD HE-1 XLR @ 4k is the best sounding pre that the Part Time Audiophile has Ever heard. the 10 tubes may be part of the reason. Also has its own regenerative power supply built in...I combined that with the ever popular GaN 400 watt Peachtree Amp and it’s perfect synergy. And synergy is what its all about, good luck. If you can afford an Aavik integ. class D amp. go for it. Awsome sound.