New EMM Labs DAC 2 or Accustic Arts Ref Tube DAC

Thoughts on buying a the EMM Labs DAC 2 or Accustic Arts Ref Tube DAC. They are priced about the same. The EMM Labs DAC2 is new to the market. I understand the Accustic Arts Tube DAC is being upgraded to SE version.
fm540i
The EMM is one of the very best you can get. With the EMM transport the DAC2 is the very best.
Hi Hotbird, I've read at the Accustic Arts website that the tubes in the Tube DAC are not located in the analog section of the DAC. So how can replacing the standard tubes with Mullards gives a different sound?

Chris
The idea of tube rolling a DAC sounds crazy to me. At those prices, couldn't designer get it right?

Dave
designers tend not to use rare NOS tubes unless they hv a reliable & continuous source for them. end-consumers on the other hand are free to scout & buy whatever suits their tastes (in other words, its not as simplistic as "designers getting it right").
Dazzdax, I am not technically that competent to tell you why but if you can write to [email protected] and I am sure one of its designers, Stefan Schunk (son of the founder) will answer you. Though he's German, he's quite well versed in answering in English unlike many German companies' rep. You can read their company history at

Accustic Arts History

For myself, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and you should try it out. ;-)