Cleaning audio components with 90% isopropyl alcohol

I am about to clean the cable tips and the component input jacks with 90% isopropyl alcohol. The question is, how long do I have to wait before I plug everything back in? Thanks everyone.

johnson0134

Greetings,

For doing just a quick cleaning of connectors I use denatured alcohol. Any hardware store should carry it. Use it also for cleaning TT belts.

For general cleaning I use Caig products and then use the denatured alcohol to wipe clean. I don’t care to leave the Caig products on the connectors.

Joe Nies

One of the audio greats, Jonas Miller, who ran the ultra high end Jonas Miller Stereo in Beverley Hills, told me to NEVER use denatured alcohol, because there are many ways to denature alcohol.

He pointed out that there is only one way to make high purity ethyl alcohol, or failing that, premium high proof vodka. Either of these costs almost nothing in the quantities used for cleaning.

More important is the problem of contamination. ALWAYS pour out a tiny quantity and throw away the excess. NEVER dip a cleaning tool into the bottle of alcohol.

Thanks for the information @terry9 , I didn’t realize that. I was told the opposite from one of my audio gurus years ago.

Guess I need to do some research.

Joe Nies

Acetone dries even faster but you should use it only if there are no plastic parts involved.