Thoughts on the Linn LP12 turntable

I don’t see many discussions that include the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and was wondering why? They’ve been around since the late 70’s and other then power supply and a few other minor changes (IMO) are relatively unchanged. I had one in the early 80’s and another in the late 90’s. They are somewhat finicky to get setup correct and once you do, they sound great. That being said I know there have been a lot better designs to come out since the LP12’s hey-day. Are they worth considering  anymore or has the LP12 just become another audio vintage collectors item?

markcooperstein

I should add that I brought up the Linn vs Sota analogy only to make my point about the significance of marketing.  Linn chose to keep the model name and its appearance constant while gradually upgrading the innards (at considerable added cost).  SOTA chose also to stick pretty close to the appearance of their original Sapphire while also upgrading the innards, also at increasing cost, but they also re-named each upgraded version which gave us the public the feel of a new product every 5-10 years.

I’m afraid you’ve lost me.

1979?  

stereophile?

As recently as June 2022, Herb Reichert reviewed the latest (and current) Klimax and said this:

“Does the Klimax sound as good as the best turntables at any price? Its performance is in that zone; I can say that much.”

As I (and he) said, it isn’t for everyone.

@mijostyn If nothing else, your posts make me laugh, particularly after a hard day. So thanks for that. Get myself a decent turntable, like your Sota?? No thanks; if I’m going to step up in tables it’s going to be to the likes of a Basis Inspiration or TW Acoustics BN..maybe a Brinkmann Balance. These tables are what it takes to sound better than my current LP12 set up. You should consider listening to them, which I am almost 100% sure you have never done, but beware...if you do, be prepared to open the pocketbook!

In the meantime, having had a fellow a’phile friend over tonight for a listen to my ’faulty’ Linn, all I can say is that he is now considering selling his pretty Garrard 301 in a Artisan Fidelity plinth to replace it with a like kind....LP12! ....;0)