Wadia 581SE versus Esoteric UX-3Pi

CD sound comparison?
psacanli
I have owned Wadia (830i) and Esoteric X-03 SE, as well as other pretty respectable digital sources/components. Personally, I prefer the Esoteric over the Wadia (based on my owned products, which may not be completely fair as the X-03 is more expensive by a good amount than the 830 by Wadia). I find the Esoteric products smoother in general in the upper frequency ranges. I find that the Wadia can be a bit dry for my tastes (not so much bright, but just a tad dry). The 581 SE is in another league compared to the 830; however, my general feeling on the Wadia vs. the Esoteric remains a similar feeling. I think the GNSC Wadia units improve on this my only "issue" with the Wadia sound. This being said, both units are terrific and it will really be a matter of personal taste and system synergy.
I listened to the X-03 SE when I was in the process of upgrading my speakers at a dealer and found that it sounded plain for my taste compared to the Wadia 861SE that a friend of mine owns. I ended up getting the Wadia 581se 2 months after I got my new speakers in place of my Wadia 302. It is a great unit.
It's tough to draw conclusions about digital sources, heard in completely different rooms with different systems on different days...
Goatwuss said it accurately. In the past couple of months I have had the following digital components through my system/my room/my purchases: Resolution Audio Opus 21 with GNSC mods, EMM Labs CDSE/DAC6, Esoteric X-03-SE and arriving tomorrow a DCS Delius DAC (which I have listened to outside of my system, but not yet in my system - so my opinions may change). I have listened to Wadia and owned Wadia, but at a fairly significant lower level than what you are refering to.

All of these systems/units are terrific and there are really more similarities than differences. Typically, the differences are not huge or significant, but audible and sometimes requiring significant attention and reflection to separate them. In the end, it comes down to your personal flavor preferences and system to determine which one is best for you.

I could live with any of these units as could most people. This being said, they are all sort of in the same sound family - highly resolving systems.

I also own an Audio Aero Capitole (presently out of commission) - this is a different story. While also a very good/enjoyable piece, you would recognize the difference between it and all of the above immediately - totally different type of sound. Perhaps you should also listen to a player from this type of sound family as well before jumping into an ultra high resolution piece.