Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

@figuy the same happened to me. A day after the FW upgrade I saw that it had changed to OS Sharp filter, instead of my preferred Slow filter. 

So I changed it to Slow filter (phase on) and continue to listen until yesterday evening - a 10 days period, working 24/7 - but no luck. The sound still was awful.

I have tried the NOS setting too but no luck there also.

Now, my Pontus II is shut off, waiting for the next FW update, the one that will restore all the Denafrips  famous sound :)

Yes, same here, 10-11 days with the fast filter on and didn't know! I'm not sure I find the sound awful necessarily but it's not where I think needs to be either. I've already moved some power cords around and rolled some tubes to help for now. Just missing the fullness and rich, smooth quality.

What do you say when someone turns off there dac and others love the new presentation of the update. That’s very confusing to hear.

Could it be system dependent, tubes or no tubes, British vs tipped up speaker. It’s a shame I don’t know if I fit in with the gear or people that love the update.

Is it for sure it will go back to the authentic old sound, does reversing update have a break in? Im sure it’s probably real but can someone explain update break in. 

I can only share my point of view and my system. After hearing the Merason, I knew the P-II was lacking the emotion in music especially the vocal. I was about to sell the P-II. Then the update firmware came along. It’s free of cost so I gave it a try. And the rest is history. I am sticking with Denafrips. The new update is not only improving the tonal balance and articulation, but also improve on soundstage and transparency.

After I read

liangx5’s post: "I have seen enough positive responses not to be tempted to give it a try. The bad news for me is that my T-Plus is the last one in line to get updated, the good news is that hopefully by then they would have already learned and come up with a better/improved firmware :) "

I went back to watch Steve Huff’s "T-Plus 12" and Hans Beekhuyzen’s "T-Plus" reviews again. The way Mr. Beekhuyzen described the sq of T-Plus was like he was describing my post updated P-II. However, he did also contribute to the improvement to his latest new amp. As for now, I am waiting to hear the comments of updated T-Plus. I would be likely to replace the P-II and Chord with the updated T-Plus 12.

So, my conclusion is it all depends on both of whether your system could take advantage of the update or not and your personal preference. :)

Note: I have had the P-II for more than a year and It improved the area that was important to me right after the update. And it would be nice that it will sound even better later on. :)

its late and I'm rambling:

I'm not sure many of us have enough experience with re-flashing, re-burning-in DACs (or is it redacting an updated DAC). But, from what I've read; some owners of the Denafrips DACs were given 'early access' to the updates. Have we heard from any of the early adaptors before the general model releases? And, was their listening experience taken into account by anyone at Denafrips?

I applaud the support Alvin and his team at Vinshine has given all of us, and will continue to give. 

But, isn't  this more like a: 'Beta' of a SW update(?)

If it was flashable in the first place, it can be reflashed back.