Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

My system is as follows: Qobuz via Ethernet =>Pi2 Design Mercury Streamer=> I²S =>Pontus II =>XLRs =>Schiit Loki Max => XLRs => Schiit Freya+ Preamp => McIntosh MC152 Power Amp => DynAudio Contour 20s, w/Stereo REL T/5x Subs using REL’s proprietary hi output lines directly off the speaker outputs from the power amp..subs are tuned way back to be "invisible" to blend-in the lower freq. when the recording calls for it.
I have about 25 hours on it with the new firmware. Still have glassiness with some recordings and female vocals have a slightly colder tone. I have decided to run my system 24/7 at low-volume ’till next Sunday..then I will reassess. This is frustrating.

😎

I tried it with IFi Zen Stream -> Pontus II (via usb) this late morning. It sounded very good too. So far I only put about 20 hours after the update. I also need to mention that the articulation of the mid has improved. It added more emotion to the vocal. Before the update, the Pontus II was well behind the Merason Frerot. But, It is very musical now. So, the update has been very positive for me. (Denafrips did ask me to send a screen shot to confirm a successful update.)
However, if you still have the synthetic, glassy sound in the highs after the burn in. you then really need to contact Denafrips. I believe they would like to hear from you about your issues. Especially, you didn’t have that problem before the update.

For those that don't understand "burn-in" it is a real thing I have experienced and measured. I have measured the changes in speakers, resistors, capacitors, etc. after significant use and they all had minor to major changes. The firmware itself doesn't need to be burned in, but the resistors in the ladder do. The volts and amps across them will change the physical properties. HOWEVER, since all electronics with the same spec on paper can vary based on the +/- tolerance there can be subtle to major differences. The system as a whole will adjust based on the actual values. So, some people may not experience burn in because it was already so close to where it needed to be already. But others will hear vast improvements over time because it did need to change to handle the new volt/amp differences. To be clear, I don't completely understand it, but have observed it making and repairing audio equipment and speakers. I started my career as an electronic tech before getting a degree in software so I have just enough knowledge and experience to say this. There are others that have much more knowledge about this with many different opinions because not all of it can be explained. But in the end it is all about your experience with what you have. Is it brining you the joy in listening you want? If not, then you have to continue your journey regardless of this little nit

One thing I do know for sure is that I have never had such a fantastic experience in customer support for audio equipment. If you have issues, please contact Vinshine. I know Alvin and his team will work hard to ensure you get what you need. 

kengt

"However, if you still have the synthetic, glassy sound in the highs after the burn in. you then really need to contact Denafrips. I believe they would like to hear from you about your issues. Especially, you didn’t have that problem before the update."

OH…Vinshine will hear from me, as I would be requesting a download of the old firmware for my FPGA chip. 😁

There is a thread over on Head-Fi regarding all of this where quite a few are experiencing a similar experience as myself. 300 hrs. of burn-in has been mentioned? 😳 One member, José has confirmed that we can revert (via a conversation with Alvin), and he will be doing that ASAP and said he would report his experience. So…I am going to sit tight for the time being, have a little patience and see how this all develops. It’s all a massive luxury issue! 🙃

I would like to start by thanking Alvin and Vinshine Team for their hard work and support. Consider the hundreds/thousands of units sold across the world, firmware update program across product lines is a daunting task. And to top off their commitments towards their users, this is provided free of charges regardless of how they were purchased. My hats off.

This firmware update process is well documented and relatively painless even to computer illiterates like me. Only suggestion is to start the instruction off by the On-line request first. Placing this in the third step could be confusing for some. This should be done before any computer setup or configurations.

Unit I have is Pontus II (PII) in my secondary system. As for the initial impression, pre-12th, I prefer oversampling in my system. With NOS, there were traces of roughness around the lower treble and space between images. With OS, it sounds as if the overall picture was finely polished. For those who doesn’t believe precise image is natural in life performance, do yourself a favor and attend some life un-amplified performance sitting at the best center seat. This is what the Pontus II mimics with the right system.

It’s been 8 days since the firmware update and the PII had throughly warm up. First couple of days of listening was surprisingly disappointing. The crystal clear highs and transparency dropped a few notch. Room signature of original recordings were suppressed and everything sounded a bit congested. Few days ago, I switch to NOS mode and there reveals the answer, OS is better pro-12th in my system. As of last night, this is the best this system had ever sounded. Glassy highs reported elsewhere here is not founded, but instead teary eyes. Comparing to pre-12th OS mode, the stage opened up another 10-15%. Tonal balance is ruler flat from bass up. Transient attract, though not world class, is quick and impactful. No highlights across the entire spectrum. Transparency is close to top notch equaling my previous reference/Berkeley. Can’t comment on low bass because my PII isn’t handling due to unique configuration in my systems. Off stage and deep stage images are more palpable. Room acoustic captured in good recordings are better reproduced.

Overall, this firmware update brings my system another notch closer to my reference system. Just a note, the PII is driving my baby Boulder/Kharma direct with no preamp in between. The low base was handled through DEQX and a pair of power subwoofers. Henceforth, I can’t comment on PII’s sub-40hz performance.

Above observation was made through my modest system. Should this not be similar to your findings, I hope it’s at least entertaining.

Best Regards

Mosler666