Bose 901 VI flat?

I purchased a pair of Bose 901 VI speakers recently and a new Sony STRDH190 receiver.  I have wanted these speakers for years and finally got them.  Problem is, they sound flat and weaker than expected.  I adjusted the bass and treble to my liking but that only helped a little.  I have the Bose EQ that came with the speakers but i'm not using it due to new receiver technology.  Am i doing something wrong? I know these are great speakers with a great history.  

jonicurn

Ok guys, new issue.  Thought about upgrading from the Sony HP 318 since in works but is in pretty rough shape so I came upon a Technics SA-AX720 reciever and wanted to give it a try with my Bose 901s (w EQ).  I looked at the back and and saw Tape Rec out and Play in jacks so i bought it but this didn't work.  So I'm assuming this is not the Tape Monitor Loop i need.  Am i right in thinking it must say "Tape Monitor" or "Pre and Main" not just Tape (rec out) and (play in)?  

Post removed 

jonicurn

I looked at the back and and saw Tape Rec out and Play in jacks so i bought it but this didn't work.

That should work. You'll need to engage the front panel "tape monitor" switch to get the EQ in the loop.