Are you interested in the new generation of "old school" design loudspeakers?

So is Danny Richie of GR Research. Though known for his open baffle loudspeaker and subwoofer designs, as well as narrow baffle sealed loudspeakers, Danny has received in for analysis and possible upgrades a number of the new "old school" design loudspeakers that have been recently introduced by the likes of KLH. Being a good businessman, he obviously realized he could offer his own version of such a design, free of the "problems" he found in those of others.

In this 30 minute video Danny discusses the design of his newest offering: the "Brute". Even if you’re not interested in this specific topic, you may find the video of value in general loudspeaker terms. He has made many other videos, all addressing either a specific topic, or a specific loudspeaker. There are easy to find: Go onto YouTube and do a search for GR Research.

To dispel any suspicions, no, I am in no way affiliated with Danny Richie and/or GR Research, other than being a very satisfied customer.

128x128bdp24

Very informative video! Watched it a couple of days ago and enjoyed the detail he goes into regarding the design principles behind this speaker. 

Already went down that road.  Kind of where I started my audio journey.  Plenty of vintage three-ways still out there in decent shape.

If you enjoy refinishing cabinets, soldering-up crossovers and hunting down hen's-tooth drivers, it's a great way to kill time.

I've had AR-3a, AR-2ax, original KLH 5, Klipsch Heresy, Klipsch Chorus II,  Yamaha NS-690, all restored or had upgraded crossovers installed.

No big JBLs, though.  Never found a pair at a price I was willing to pay for beat-up 40-year old speakers.

A pair of KEF 104/2 beat them all, at least to my ears and in my space.  Narrower box with smaller drivers, and a heck of a crossover.

New Magnepans (1.7i) pushed the KEFs out, but not by much.  Those old KEFs were something special.

Recently (last year) built a pair of CSS Criton 1TD-X stand-mounts.  Running with a pair of REL T7/x subs, I may have a new favorite.  Smallest speaker I've had in my room and they sound absolutely fantastic.  Again, to my ears, with my gear.

I have a relatively small room and the little speakers just appear to work.

Jury is still out whether or not they will displace the Maggies long-term.

It was high school graduation time in 1971 and I was invited to a friend's grad party at his cousins bachelor pad.  [yes, that is what we called it.]  He had a Kenwood receiver, a turntable and those KLH speakers.  I had an eight-track all in one stereo system that I paid probably $60 for.  Of course I made him play something an when he did, I swore I was gonna have something like this.  This was the turning point in the quest for great sound.  I was a poor college guy for the next few years, but made it happen soon after.  And I am still chasing it.

I'll never forget my drum instructor's system which included KLH-5's, Marantz receiver, reel-to-reel tape machine and turntable. Playing Woodstock by CSN&Y at high volume. Playing along with the drum set. Those speakers were tight.

Just looking at AR-2ax for fun

These, $110. usd, new tweeters, new level controls, cab't might be in decent shape, need to ask seller for more photos

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649879358-ar-2ax-speakers/

have to have UPS Canada wrap & ship, seller simply drops them off in your name.