whats a good older hdcd cd player?

i had a chance to listen back in the mid 90s a system that blew my mind. didnt have the money for it but remember the cd player was a nad player and the speakers were psb stratus golds. i now own stratus silver i speakers and a old school pioneer elite 39tx pre amp. the cd player now is a old elite dv37 which is dvd also. i would like my own cd player but dont wanna spend a ton since my equip is pretty low fi stuff. do non hdcd players equal out at all to a non hdcd. i would like a nad c541 but cant find one. thanks for any info. newbie kevin
flyin2jz
I used to have California Audio Labs CL-15 in my system. It's warm sounding great CD player. Its HDCD performance was excellent. You'd be surprised how many CDs are actually encoded as HDCD although the case may not show the HDCD logo. I'd pop in a CD and think it sounds pretty good, then notice HDCD decoding sign on CL-15.
If you like your sound clean and forward then nothing competes with a Music Hall MMF-CD25. They are giant killers I have had one for 6 years and still use it. Supports HDCD.