LOUDEST Concert and Tinnitus

This is a two part question.

1. What is the loudest concert (or event) that you have attended?

2. How long have you had tinnitus, is it getting better or worse and how are you dealing with it?

Personally, the loudest concert was UB40 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. Loudest event was drag racing at SIR (Seattle International Raceway) which was like sticking your head in a jet engine.

Regarding tinnitus. Over the past year or so I have noticed a constant high pitched "sound" in my ears. Mostly the left ear. At this point I don't actually know if it is constant or whether I just forget about it sometimes. I know use a white noise box when I go to sleep. Otherwise I tend to fixate on the ringing.

128x128tony1954

@moonwatcher 

With 15% to 20% of people affected by it, you’d think there’d be some financial payoff in finding a cure.

I would never have guessed that the percentage was as high as that, but after reading the posts above I can now believe it.

Unfortunately, tinnitus still appears to be yet another area where the science is still in its infancy awaiting a major breakthrough.

I worked for 33 years at Delta Airlines on the ramp , also went to 96 Grateful Dead concerts. But the loudest has to of been hawkwind my ears hurt for 2 weeks . But I did not develop tinnitus in my left ear till after I retired from Delta . I have had tinnitus for the last 17 years but still enjoy my stereo . I am 70 now and very grateful I still enjoy music but not many live shows anymore. When working at Delta I also had season tickets for the Chicago symphony for 6 years what a wonderful experience that was . I probably saw another 100 concerts in addition to the above.

Marc

@classicalpiano 

Serious commiserations.
However…if I ignore upir obvious loss, I find this interesting. 

What is the mechanism that caused the loss?
I am assuming it was a structural thing in the inner ear?

And thank you sir… I think I’ll now keep a set of ear plugs near the bicycle pump.

High on Fire

Death Is This Communion tour

The only concert I've ever been to where they handed out earplugs at the door.  I already had my own.  It was a small venue and my whole body vibrated.  I had a nice, snug fit so I didn't dare take my earplugs out in between acts!

At some point, maybe in my late 20s or early 30s, I went to a concert and my ears rang for days.  It was painful.  Ever since then, I've worn earplugs.  I have tinnitus, probably a minor case.  I used to use crappy earbuds cranked to the max so that didn't help.  Most of the time I don't notice it.  Usually only in very quiet places do I hear it.  I find using noise canceling headphones soothing.  It seems to tamp down that ring for me.

Grand Funk Railroad. Circa late 70s. It was so loud and unpleasant that my buddy and I cut out early. I remember listening to the sound flooding out as we exited the arena while my ears were still ringing. Any hearing impairment I have, I blame on that concert.