Best Preamp to Pair with Acurus A-250 and Vandersteen 3 Signature Speakers

I am told this Acurus amp is a bit dark or dry.  I was running it with an old Carver pre-amp/tuner with some Vandersteen 2A signature speakers.  It sounded good to me.  The Carver broke and I upgraded to larger Vanersteens.  Any recommendations on a good preamp for it?  Would like to stay under $5,000.  I don't have a turntable, so I am digital.  Listen to everything from jazz to classic rock.  

Thanks,

hkeller

Thank you for all of the good feedback.  To the one who asked, yes, they are 3a signatures.  They need a ton of power to control the bass.  The 2a signatures didn't sound bright with the A250.  They are just such a smooth speaker.  That is why I was hoping a tube pre-amp might do the trick.

I have 3a Signatures and run them with a pair of Belles Aria monoblocks and a Schiit Freya + preamp.  I agree with the recommendations to sell the Acurus and spend the $5K on a quality integrated or new separates.  Honestly, 2 Schiit Vidars (new model) as monoblocks with a Freya + tube preamp would be much better than a system built on that Acurus and would run you about $3K. Or you can also get a Belles Aria dual mono integrated with that budget.  But don’t spend $5K to get better sound from a (now) $600 vintage amp.  I bought my 3a’s used last year and continue to dial them in.  Great speakers.

To piggyback off @nymarty Johnny R is an incredible resource for both Vandy and Belles.  By all means give him a call, and especially if you’re on the east coast go to Audio Connection and have a good listen.  He won’t steer you wrong.  Best of luck.