Tube amps - what 3 things…

Hello all,

I am close to purchasing a tube amp moving away from SS. So far I have listened to a pure sound, PL, and allnic. 

Question for all you experienced owners - if you could do it all over again, what 3 things/features would you look for in an amplifier and what 3 things/features would you not invest in again?

thanks

mpoll1
Post removed 

If you are planning to use a tube amp, do yourself a favor and avoid low impedance speakers. Your amplifier dollar investment will thank you.

Tube amps using output transformers can lose as much as an octave of bass response going from an 8 Ohm load (using the 8 Ohm tap) to a 4 Ohm load (using the 4 Ohm tap) and the output transformer will run hotter (since more of your output section power will be heating it, not a good use of that power). The amp will make more distortion too and the speaker cables will play a far more important role (and will need to be heavier).

In the old days when tubes were the only game in town, speakers were much easier to drive- they were more efficient. Efficiency is helpful because you get less thermal compression in the voice coils- a more vivacious sound results (IOW this is both measurable and audible).

So a speaker of 8 Ohms (particularly in the bass, so be careful of speakers using dual woofers that might be rated '8 Ohm compatible') or better yet 16 Ohms, along with higher efficiency (+90dB) will help you get the most out of your tube amplifier investment (this is helpful for transistor amps too, since they also make less distortion into higher impedances...).

If you are planning an SET, its helpful to be aware of what you're getting into: If you want the most out of an SET, your speakers must be so efficient that the amp never makes more than about 20-25% of full power. At power levels above that, the higher ordered harmonics start to show up on the transients (where the power is), causing the ear to perceive the transients as 'louder'. This is why you read so much about how 'dynamic' SETs are; it really distortion masquerading as 'dynamics'. To avoid this you need a speaker efficient enough to prevent this phenomena occurring. Of course, SETs have troubles with bandwidth when built to make more power; usually the bass is curtailed in favor of higher frequencies in the output transformer design. This is why the lower powered SETs are known for better sound.

My advice is that the mark of a good system is that it doesn't sound 'loud' even when it is. The dynamics comes from the recording, not the electronics! To that end, the speakers must be easy to drive so that the amplifier is spending most of its time loafing.

@hilde45 My experience as well. My PrimaLuna has been EXACTLY like owning a solid state amp with maintenance so far. None. I have had it 3 years with average amount of use. I haven't changed a tube yet. It sounds GREAT.  I would not want to mess with manual biasing. 

The ability to switch between modes (triode, ultralinear, pentode) is nice.

A fish with wheels and wings would be nice too.

Get a great sounding amp, not an overly complex spagheti bowl.

+1 on P2P wiring with silicone or other high temperature, NOT PVC, insulation. Tube amps require service and good designs can be made great with component upgrades and cct tweaks. One of my favorite amps was a Citation II reworked in the mid 80s. IMO, it ate my AR studio amps for lunch.

My God all this is so incredibly complicated. 

And after saying that, commentary herein is awfully impressive.