Tubes or Solid State?

I'm looking to replace my solid state Musical Fidelity M2si integrated amplifier that I've been using as a preamp with a dedicated preamp. I have been considering tube line stages from Maple Tree, and, Van Alstine and the LSA Hyperdrive Preamp/Headphone amp. I am also looking at the SPL Elector MK2 which is solid state and a bit more money.
The tubes are supposed to be warmer and the SPL is supposed to be absolutely dead quiet. 
Thanks

dierksb

In general tubes tend to be warmer than solid state. In high end products they are not warm but just more realistic.

In your situation. First, if you want to make sure your new purchase delights you, and does not just trade off one set of weaknesses for another, then I always make sure the increase in investment is at least 2x my last.

Assuming you want a better sounding system over time and given the price range you are considering and how important the preamp is, I would recommend considering putting $1200 in and buy a used tube preamp from a well established high end company… Rogue, Audio Research, or Conrad Johnson. You will have to get a moderately old one… but they tend to last forever and the sound is extremely musical.

What’s your budget and what sound characteristics/improvements are you looking for?

First, if you want to make sure your new purchase delights you, and does not just trade off one set of weaknesses for another, then I always make sure the increase in investment is at least 2x my last.

@erik_squires I know where you are going but this isn’t the right metric ($$). A $500 DAC today will demolish a $1000 DAC from 5 years ago. Same for receivers. I agree that if you are upgrading swing for the fences, but you can’t just spend $ and expect an improvement that will lay waste to your previous setup.

OP, I would ask the guys at Van Alstine since they are on your list for a recommendation, they couldn't be nicer.