Unscrupulous ebay buyers

Beware if you sell on ebay. I’m probably stating something most already know, but anyhow, I listed a brand new cartridge there which was bought and shipped on time. Buyer receives It, opens it and installs it. He proceeds to play his records. He then messages me that the cartridge has muddy bass and poor channel separation. I advise him to check all alignment parameters, but he insists cartridge is defective, I highly doubt it. I do not accept returns as stated in the listing. He proceeds to pack it up, taking a photo, and states "on the way!"...I again told him that I do not accept returns for a cartridge that is now used...also said that just because you bought something you have never listened to and you are displeased with its sound or performance, does not give him the right to demand I accept a return. I reported him to ebay, as in my opinion he is pulling a fast one. He could very likely have damaged it while installing it. It was brand new pristine condition upon shipping it. I am standing my ground and will not accept a return. If it shows up at my door, too bad. At this point, I can care less if I receive negative feedback, it would be my first. Worse buyer I’ve encountered in 20 years of selling. Man I hate ebay. Honestly, to me it sounds like buyer remorse, not a defective cartridge, plus I am not the manufacturer....he can pound sand.

128x128audioguy85

I have sold many many items on ebay with only 2 issues which I won, but now I only sell within a few self imposed restrictions.  I don’t sell items over $100 and most are under $50 such as tubes, CD’s, LP’s, other assorted items. All are low risk and not worth fretting over.  I get very few complaints and if I do I give a full refund with pictures or video proof.  The goal for me is to reduce stuff not make money and ebay is a good partner for this.  Any higher ticket items go on agon or mostly usamart since commission fees add up.  So far good luck on those sites but I do get nervous especially now with everyone using F&F.  

(1) @jl35 has an important point.
Using PayPal as the payment intermediary can shift the discussion away from terms and conditions in your EBay ad , to vagaries in terms and conditions in PayPal. PayPal has its legendary warts and risks causing endless irritation and frustration when it comes to dispute resolution between buyer and seller.

(2) Warranty claims against unit build defects are generally those against the OEM manufacturer’s designated distributor. Intuitively, if the Seller is not an authorized retailer with Distributor, then that warranty option generally is rendered null and void in the fine print templated in 99+% of product sales documentation

(3) Unless otherwise forced upon you by PayPal TBD, the AGON Court of Public Opinion can sympathize with your reported facts situation and your further response options.
My take: Unless otherwise forced into further formal written debate with Buyer, many forum readers would similarly cut him off with the common slang profanity pejorative embodied in Genesis 9:7.

Carry on and good luck.

There are scams galore out there. He might be keeping the good one that you sent and sending back a bad one that he already had.