The new Borresen M1's...a new direction?

The new stand mount speaker from Borresen, called the M1’s, look very interesting. They are utilizing a 4.5" mid/bass driver and a ribbon tweeter. The bass response is stated to go down to 40hz, which for a 4.5" driver is impressive.

The technology employed in the speaker is also somewhat novel, yet it also comes at a cost.

That cost is $100K. or in Europe 94K Eu.

Question is, how many other speaker designers will be producing a stand mount two way with a 4.5" bass/mid driver and now contemplating a price point in the $100-$200K range?

Another question, how many of these M1’s would be expected to sell? And to whom?

128x128daveyf

Alex, speakers don’t cause tinnitus. Loud concerts and all varieties of environmental factors do. Didn’t really answer the question at all. 

mofojo

Alex, speakers don’t cause tinnitus. Loud concerts and all varieties of environmental factors do.

The speakers are everywhere such as church, TV & computer speakers, concert hall, PA speakers in the park and buildings, cell/telephone speakers, etc. Their sounds are all un-natural and induce tinnitus.

Our discussion is not appropriate in here and this is my last post on this thread. Alex/Wavetouch

Just replaced Kudos 505s with Borresen Z2 Cryos. My electronics, cabling and accessories are Aavik and Ansuz.  Z2 Cryos are really an amazing speaker. Certainly not the M1s but an exceptional speaker for 1/4 of the M1 cost. You should hear some of the other Borresen models either in a demo or even at a show.

I heard the M1's recently at my local dealer.  They ARE fantastic sound wise.  Very nice aesthetically as well.

$100K way too much for me, however.  I could see $30K though.

Also heard the Z2.  Also great sound, maybe not quite to same level as the M1 but value wise possibly better.

Boressen definitely putting out good stuff IMO.

Anyway, all expensive and cheap speakers’ sounds in the world are ear hurting veiled and inducing Tinnitus. Only my Antero speakers are a safe from Tinnitus.

I work in professional market speakers. I would never ever make such a false claim, especially something health related. Only way your speakers are going to prevent Tinnitus is if they do not play loud.

One Reviewer gave the Borresen M1’s "Best Of Show"

Here are some things that same reviewer said in another Borresen review:

I did this for nearly every other model in the Børresen line-up. Depending upon the specific upgrades between models, such as driver complement and materials, I heard steady improvements in clarity and a stunningly low noise floor as I moved up.

A noise floor? On speakers? Does this reviewer even know what noise is? For me that makes everything he says questionable.

How did the unorthodox speaker positioning work out for the Børresen Z1 Cryos? In my usual speaker position, which is 2-3′ from the rear,

He means front, and 2-3 feet as many know is not nearly enough to get rid of SBIR

What are those thin  panels on the wall supposed to do? They won't work low enough for SBIR, and they are too small even at 2-3 feet to block much of the rear reflections. Is he intentionally not making his room very good? 

Is this the current state of professional audio reviews?

There are some very very significant claims for the M1, especially at that price. Lots of claims of amazing sound, but I can find that for almost any product. Their claims all relate to technical proficiency. Low distortion, low resonance, and I think good dispersion is implied.  You don't verify that listening in a random room. You do verify that with a measurement system. So where are their measurements?  I am very very suspect that they have not provided any.