dcs puccini, chord red ref, meitner cdsa or nagra

anybody had a chance to compare any of these top of the line one-box cd players on redbook?
maxx2man
Puccini is hard to beat in terms of resolution, transparency, MUSIC, flow, slam, soundstage, construction quallity, from all the one box alternatives.

A better remote control is needed only.

*Never heard the playback designs though, but former user of Emmlabs cdsa se and familiar with Esoteric line.
I would agree with Kops,

the DCS guys really do know how to dig out resolution. I believe they are the only CD player manufacturers that use a chip right at the laser output to look at the information before it is sent to the DAC section.

If you feel you dont need any "rose tinted glasses" on your system, go DCS. You will have resolution and transparency to spare.

Yes I did mean going further up the DCS range to either Panganini or Scarlatti. If the budget is tight, try to find an older DCS transport with firewire and use the latest DAC/clock until such time. The Scarlatti is perfection.
I am not sure about this new Playback Designs player. Seems as if one review (which may or may not be planted) is sturring the pot. What I do know is that it could easily be the ugliest player out there. So if you listen with the lights off and shut your eyes it may be ok.
06-20-08: Arbuckle said:

"I am not sure about this new Playback Designs player. Seems as if one review (which may or may not be planted) is sturring the pot. What I do know is that it could easily be the ugliest player out there. So if you listen with the lights off and shut your eyes it may be ok."

There's actually three reviews by Mike Lavigne, Ted Smith and David Robinson(his preliminary, but positive). Mike has no ownership interest in the maker and disclosed his long term relationship. Anyway, there's no reason those three would say it was good if not. Comparisons are to Emm's best.

The pictures don't do it justice, it looks much better in person, not ugly at all.

The dirth of reviews is due to the very recent release. For someone considering purchase right now, then they may not want to consider it; however, most people making purchases of this dollar amount can generally wait a few months if this seems like something they'd like.

I'll be adding a review in a couple of weeks, but my comparison will be to vinyl and lesser digital components. Still, it may have some value to some.

Dave