Denafrips Pontus II Clicks Or Static?

There have been some who have reported clicks or static occasionally with their Denafrips Pontus II DAC units.  And there is a test measurement review of the Pontus II 12th on the golden sound website talking about the following:

"When DACs oversample, they can sometimes encounter a situation where the reconstructed/interpolated waveform goes above 0dBfs (the maximum possible digital value)."

"The Pontus 2 is susceptible to intersample overs, and unfortunately, in a particularly bad way."

"The Pontus 2 does not clip, but instead when a sample value reaches above the maximum, it ‘wraps around’ to the minimum negative value, causing a huge sudden transient which will be very audible and may appear as crackling/popping."

Has anyone with a Pontus II encountered this anomaly when playing CDs?  If so, can you elaborate about that?  I am aware that the Pontus II can be firmware upgraded, so if this is an occasional issue, it could be eliminated with an upgrade.

fastcat95

Pops/ticks are present on all recordings and they are not repeatable.  The level does not appear to be correlated in my case.

I have been provided new firmware by Vinshine.  I will post my findings once that change is implemented and tested.

Alvin at Vinshine has mentioned a firmware update in one of his most recent videos.

As suggested above in my initial post, I do not believe that any firmware fix has resolved the problem. It may be possible that it has helped in some cases, but I am certain that if the problem had been fully resolved, Denafrips would be shouting it from the rooftops!

Given the length of time that this has been a known issue, I really do not understand how anyone could be optimistic that it might be fully resolved by other than a hardware fix.

So far, in researching this subject, it appears that it is a minority of people who are experiencing the pops & cracks.  The problem, when it exists, would have to be likely one of four basic things:

1.  Fundamental hardware problem (unlikely, since only a minority have the issue)

2.  Fundamental firmware problem (also unlikely with a minority issue)

3.  A Random occurrence based on manufacturing/component variables (possible)

4.  A random occurrence based on both hardware variables and firmware interactions with that. (possible)

Some people report NO pop & crack issues, some report occasional issues, some report regular issues, and some report that the issue goes away with a firmware update. Just about everyone likes to basic sound of the Pontus II.

Regardless of what is causing the issue, Denafrips and Vinshine need to get a handle on it.  If the problem goes onward, the word will get around, and there will be a drop in product sales.

I have those reported issues with my Pontus II when using aes/ebu or coaxial front all my cd transports, but none ever through usb with the Auralic Aries.

I have been talking with Alvin Lee and trying all updates he recommended but the problem is still here.

Because I really like the Pontus II sound and build quality I will wait for promised firmware fix.

audiofilo123:

I received my Pontus II 12th on Monday, and it is currently burning in via the BNC coaxial digital input.  So far I have not heard any clicks or pops during operation. I am wondering if this problem could have a connection to particular digital sources. Hopefully, something will arrive as a solution to all this.  I second you on the build quality and sound of the Pontus II; even somewhat still raw at this point, it shows some very fine sonic qualities.