Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

But for sure the people here which never had an hand on this great tonearme are bashing it because it not pays attention to "regulations and facts" and for them... the earth is still flat! ;-)

There are some people here who enjoy making grand proclamations and pronouncements. Many take a rather odd pride in this behavior, some peppering their remarks with comments such as, "I’m not polite," "I’m not politically correct" or my favorite: "I’m brutally honest" when what they really mean is, "I enjoy being brutal." They’ll often bolster their comments by claiming certain professional qualifications. Some have established YouTube channels they promote in hopes to monetize their "expertise." One of the logic-challenged ones you’re arguing with here claims to be a physician.

What these sorts have in common, as you note, is a lack of experience. Their hubris has convinced them that their intellect can overcome that deficiency and, to an extent, they are right: Knowledge and wisdom can help you avoid mistakes that otherwise would teach you the lessons of experience. But the truth they don’t want to acknowledge is v-e-r-y simple:

There is no substitute for experience.

That’s why I’ve avoided commenting on this arm. I understand as well as anyone here its unusual geometry and the measurable distortion that can result, but I won’t discount the reports of those who’ve actually seen and heard it. Without actually correlating expectations with actual results, the Viv’s critics have added nothing of value to this conversation. But their "contributions" make them feel very important, and that feeling is what they seek. It’s why they’re here.

Post removed 

Your motivations in general are worthy, but your judgement of what is a scam and what is merely an alternative approach that has merits and demerits is poor in this instance, because your mind is closed. And by the way, your argumens against underhung tonearms, leaving aside the specifics of the Viv, are mostly about Euclidean geometry, not Newtonian physics.

mijostyn

Cleeds would be talking about me.

As a frustrated intellectual he is unable to discuss the relevant issues regarding this arm as he is unable to understand them. He is also unaware of and unable to understand my real motive

Ad hominem argument - the laziest of logical fallacies. You’re not fooling anyone here.

@racedoc 

The magnetic oil film helps to prevent any bouncing from the needle to start

resonances but as you know that oil is not compressible there is no floating at all.

Oil is not compressible but it will displace.  Is there any movement in the arm in a direction beyond the lateral and vertical?  

It has always been my thought that simply using TAE as the sole figure of merit in this comparison is flawed since there are many other aspects that can make a 5° TAE of a 'traditional' arm soincally different than the same error on the Viv.

Dave