So Weird- No Stylus Contact Woofer Pumping with Hana ML and Elac PPA-2

I observed the weirdest thing I have ever seen in audio. With the cartridge positioned above the record, tone arm locked up and platter spinning, the woofers were pumping on my system. I googled every permutation of query I could think of but came back with no hits. That’s when I decided to video the problem- link below:

Mystery Woofer Pumping

I could type out all the details but the video pretty much covers everything. I thought ya’ll might be interested in this.

mitchellcp

@mitchellcp 

Just for grins-even though you don't want to undertake onerous steps-please try switching the neutral and ground wires at the clips. Should take you less than a minute. I am sure you know this-use your fingernails and not pliers. 

This one is a pickle, to be sure.

I wonder if this table has a signal cutout mechanism that detects when a record is on on or off the platter and shorts the output when there is nothing on there? My Dual 701 has a signal cut mechanism, but used differently - it cuts the signal when lifting at the end of a record or when auto-starting. The point is that some turntable manufacturers have thought to prevent outputs in certain conditions and Yamaha has done this with some of their tables. I don't know if they did it for this one. What are the two holes in the platter for I wonder?

You could test this without changing the interconnect plugs. Just put your stylus over the spinning platter and use a stylus brush to lightly touch the stylus (like you would be cleaning it) and see if it makes any noise in your speakers. Then do the same with the platter mat and record off and see it still makes noise when brushed. 

The two holes on the platter are threaded so you can attach a pair of removal bolts- it’s ridiculously heavy.

I’m voting on static buildup. The filth on your records is the tell. I’d be interested to check the humidity of your house, the carpet (or rug) between your record storage and turntable, what kind of shoes you do (or do not) wear, if you wet-wash or simply dry brush your records, etc. I’m assuming whatever you are doing before putting the vinyl on the platter is leaving one heck of a charge on your record. The other questions remain: Did the single ended connection really solve your problem?  Did the rewiring create a better ground path? Why do people feel the need to comment without watching your video?