So Weird- No Stylus Contact Woofer Pumping with Hana ML and Elac PPA-2

I observed the weirdest thing I have ever seen in audio. With the cartridge positioned above the record, tone arm locked up and platter spinning, the woofers were pumping on my system. I googled every permutation of query I could think of but came back with no hits. That’s when I decided to video the problem- link below:

Mystery Woofer Pumping

I could type out all the details but the video pretty much covers everything. I thought ya’ll might be interested in this.

mitchellcp

Haven’t heard about this problem for 20 years. I think it has something to do with DC on your AC line. Will have to wait for the experts to return from the Super Bowl tomorrow...

Also, cut and paste the following line into google:

Cause of woofer Pumping in your speaker

Thanks, I checked google- nothing for this issue. The issue being woofer pumping when phono cartridge is within 1/4” but not touching a spinning vinyl record.

Switching to single end puts a stop to the phenomenon. However the question remains- what’s this all about?

Sorry but you have to prove that balanced input makes a difference by reverting to XLRs and re- testing. Also, is the phono stage actually balanced or does it just offer XLR inputs? Also retest with vs without platter mat. Also, what platter mat? 

Has nothing to do with DC on the AC line by the way. DC is DC; has no frequency. 

Wow that's a lot of homework. As much as I would love to, I'm not going to re-create the thing I just got rid of without some possible explanation as to what was going on. It's working in single end mode and sounds really nice.

Phono stage is an ELAC PPA-2 and yes it has a balanced input option on input two. It's activated with DS 3&4.

I did the test with and without a platter mat. Platter mat only creates the pumping. Record with no mat creates the pumping. Platter with nothing- no problem.

Mat is a Funk Firm Achromat. 

I didn't say anything about DC on an AC line. (..........never mind)

Cheers