Difference in Using Mono-blocs with Maggie 20.7's

Peoples:  I've had Maggie 20.7's for about two years.  I like them.  I have a McIntosh MC462 amp that generates 450 watts pc and does a good job.  However I'm considering going to mono-blocs in search of an improvement in sound quality.  What is the likelihood of that being the case?  I've read much over time about how amp's can make such a difference in sound quality.  

Anyone out there make this change, and if so to what result?  Otherwise any other useful feedback is welcome.   

normantaylor

My next big improvement to my system will be to invest in speakers in about the $50 to $60K range.  And, I would definitely want mono-blocs for them.  My estimate of range of cost came from Paul McGowan's book on sounds systems.  He suggests 40 to 50% of the total value of your system be invested in speakers.  I have found him to be a reliable source of information.   

op

sounds like you are a bit all over the place

you have truly great speakers in the maggie 20.7 - if you are committed to them we can suggest better amps than your mcintosh, be they stereo amps vs monos (this particular distinction being a minor one in my view)

but if you’re going to buy new speakers, discussing amps is a waste of time until you have determined what is your future speaker choice

in all this, there is also no discussion at all on what you are seeking as the nature of sonic improvement you seek, your room, your choices of music, your sources etc etc... problems are solved when the problem definition is stated precisely and cogently... otherwise it is just burning $ while shooting in the dark

jjss49

I can see why you would say that.  Right now I'm looking for feedback on the differences mono's might have on my existing speakers.  As I said, I love my 20.7's.  They put out sound quality beyond their price.  If I'm convinced the mono amp is the route to I'm sure I'll enjoy my Maggie 20.7's for a few more years, then upgrade to a more expensive speaker.  Not too many studios around to hear great speaker anymore.  Must travel a lot.  Axpona would be the ideal scene.  I know they have a show coming up. 

I have a wide variety of music taste.  I have a vast LP collection; large CD collection.  My turntable is a Linn with most of current components.  I have a Mc MVP 891 that I had upgraded with special caps etc.  My room is treated to my satisfaction with a combination of art and sound absorbing material.  Most of what I know I learned from people like you on this sight.  Much more to go.

I seek an observable improvement of sound to my liking to in just about any genre.

russ69

Why do you think I’d like the Parasound JC1’s? I looked at them briefly.  Nice price point.  What have you heard them drive?