TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

@rblnr 

Glad you thought so highly of the TEAC.

I may try the TEAC Clock down the line, myself...my dealer will let me try that at home, as well.

"The UD 701N reflects what a larger company with the engineering prowess and buying power can do for the money if they put their mind to it."

On that note, so to speak, I found a similar result with my current main audio speakers (Paradigm Persona 3F)...a rather large, resource-filled company focusing on some "higher end" products which they wouldn't normally be noted for.

@bosssound 

My only direct comparison was at home vs. my Schiit Yggrdrasil A2 with the iFi Zen Stream.  I initially used the Zen Stream for both DACs (SPDIF for the Yggdrasil; USB for the TEAC UD-701N) to keep fewer variables.  The TEAC was an immediate improvement (to me) wrt to clarity, dynamics, soundstage depth, width...all leading to a more engaging and immersive sound.  The closest element was probably the dynamics, as the Yggdrasil has a great analog output, as well.

(In fact, my experience the week before with the NT-505X was also an improvement over the Yggdrasil in the same context, just not to the level of the UD-701N.)

There was no element the Yggdrasil provided that I preferred over the UD-701N.  And the Yggdrasil is a very nice DAC...

Everything from vocals (Loreena McKennitt, Joni Mitchell, Chris Isaak, Johnny Cash), guitar (Acoustic Alchemy), pop (Paul Simon), rock (Phish, The Cure), and "world" (Dead Can Dance) was preferable on the TEAC.  (I listen to Jazz music strictly thought vinyl, so no input there...)

I then listened to the TEAC via its network connection, and a few comparisons with the iFi Zen (USB) streaming showed furrther improvement, but I didn't do too much comparison because (a) had to switch inputs on unit (no remote on hand), and (b) the TEAC network connection sounded so good I didn't want to switch.  (one of its four independent power supplies is dedicated for the network, I believe)

That said, the Yggdrasil is less expensive than the TEAC, but the TEAC's delta in performance vs. cost is much greater than I would have thought.  I likely would have still purchased the TEAC even if it had no built in streaming (or preamp and headphone amp, which I won't likely even use).

You've provided some insight on the UD-701N vs. the HiFi Rose 150, and there are other brands with similar cost and features (Lumin, Simaudio, Auralic, Bryston, etc.), and I've heard some of them at shows and dealers, but certainly not enough to assess any to the level of a home demo.

Hope that is somewhat useful.

@vinylcat ​​​​​​

I'm seriously considering the UD 701N. Could you confirm that it supports Tidal connect? 

It supports Tidal.  Shows up as an endpoint in the Tidal app if it's on your network.

@celestial__sound 

There's your answer.

I was just going to add there is a toggle on the HR Streamer app for Tidal & Qobuz (I don't use them as I only stream via local NAS).

This unit has been impressing me more and more over the past couple weeks.