What CDs to buy

I never thought I would get a CD player but opportunity knocked a couple months ago and here I am with an Audio Research CD6.  All my CDs from 30 years ago are mostly music I no longer listen to much.  I primarily listen to vinyl and stream but thought it would be cool to have an AR top loader and maybe seek out a few special CDs.  Any thoughts on specific CD releases that will give me some renewed respect for the shiny discs?  

dhite71

While my instincts warn me against wading into such waters, I can’t resist. To come onto an "Audiophile" site in search of recommendations for recommendations of CD’s to purchase does nothing less than provide evidence that audiophiles care about the sound quality of recordings more than the music itself.

This is ridiculous. Where else should one go to find good opinions on the topic?!

No one would argue that some audiophiles do not fall into that trap category, but given the amount of time, energy and money that many put into their systems, why on earth would they not have an interest in listening to exceptionally well-recorded music? Not necessarily at the expense of less well-recorded music, but as an understandable emphasis.

I posted specifically about a genre that was generally not very well recorded, and how it is possible to find relatively good exceptions. Others have made useful suggestions as well.

bdp24 ... "ridiculous." Far from the truth, keep stretching.

You asked, "Where else should one go to find good opinions on the topic?!" Simple ... a bag of tricks :-)

For well-recorded jazz try the Three Blind Mice (aka TBM) Japanese label. Pianist Tsuyoshi Yamamoto is artful on "Midnight Sugar" (TBM-XR-0023) and "Misty" (TBM-XR-0030).

Also for jazz, I like "Jazz at the Pawnshop" for its immersive you-are-there microphone capture. My favorite version is XRCD on the First Impression Music label (FIM XRCD 012-013).

@bdp24  I for one appreciate your perspective. It is true that "audiophiles" often fall into the trap of worshipping equipment and "sound quality" (which is of course a subjective term) - and for many, as is unfortunately evidenced on so many threads of this forum, the more expensive the better, lol - over enjoying music itself.

That said, it is fun to find both: good music, recorded well.