What I wish I knew before starting my audiophile journey

I’ve considered myself an audiophile for over 3 years now. In those 3 years I’ve owned over 12 pairs of speakers, 10 amplifiers, 4 pre amplifiers, 7 DACs all in search for the perfect sound. What I’ve come to learn is I knew nothing when I started and now have some, not all of an understanding of how this works. Im passing this on to anyone that’s getting into this hobby to help fast track them to a better sound and learn from my experience. If I were to do this all over again, here is where I would start and invest my money.

1. Clean power- I wasted a lot of time and probably sold very good gear thinking it wasn’t good enough because I didn’t have clean power. I installed a dedicated 8 gauge power line with 20 amp breaker and hospital grade plugs for approximately $800. This was hands down the single biggest upgrade. You really have no idea what your gear is capable of delivering until you have fed it with clean power.

2. Speakers-this is where I would spend the a big chunk of my budget. I could make tweaks all day to my system but until I had speaker resolved enough to hear them, it all seems a waste of time. I discounted many things like cables because I couldn’t hear the difference until I had speakers that could actually produce the differences. Keep in mind the room size. I believed that bigger was better. I actually now run a pair of very good bookshelves that have no problem energizing the room. 

3. Amplifier power. Having enough power to drive the speakers is crucial in being able to hear what those speakers are capable of delivering. Yes different amp make different presentations but if there’s enough power then I believe it’s less of an issue and the source determines the sound quality more.

4. Now that I have the power and resolution to hear the difference between sources, cables, pre amplifier, streamer, DACs ect. This is where the real journey begins. 

On a side note, my room played a huge roll in how my system sounded but not a deal breaker. I learned that it’s possible to tweak the system to the room by experimenting with different gear. I learned that speaker size based on room size is pretty important. Have good rug!!

For reference my set up

Dedicated power

Lumin U1 mini

Denafrips Venus 2

Simaudio 340i

Sonus Faber Minima Amator 2

cables, AQ full bloom. NRG Z3, Earth XLR, Diamond USB, Meteor Speaker cables.

128x128dman1974

I would add -

-find a veteran mentor and listen carefully to what they say

-be patient or you will waste money

-Fix the room before you spend too much $ on gear

-Buy nothing without a trial period

If you follow all those guides you will not make any large misteps

@limbonner You’re probably aware that some precious metals like gold and silver have the propensity of purifying water - fact. In a similar way, the audio cables/interconnects effectively clean the electrical power coming to your house. All of these devices/cables are notting more than filters. In addition, the electromagnetic orientation of the cables can facilitate the process of purifying just like catalysis do. I know, there is plenty of reasons to be skeptical but this is all I’ve got for you.

figured out how to easily become a millionaire first, in order that i could afford all that is required to join the hobby. all the reviewers on stereophile seem to live in quasi-mansions with 12 foot ceilings and 40 foot wide listening rooms, and distant neighbors. 

@

emrofsemanon Dedicated audiophiles can easily become millionaires if only they were billionaires prior to the hobby.

Post removed