What I wish I knew before starting my audiophile journey

I’ve considered myself an audiophile for over 3 years now. In those 3 years I’ve owned over 12 pairs of speakers, 10 amplifiers, 4 pre amplifiers, 7 DACs all in search for the perfect sound. What I’ve come to learn is I knew nothing when I started and now have some, not all of an understanding of how this works. Im passing this on to anyone that’s getting into this hobby to help fast track them to a better sound and learn from my experience. If I were to do this all over again, here is where I would start and invest my money.

1. Clean power- I wasted a lot of time and probably sold very good gear thinking it wasn’t good enough because I didn’t have clean power. I installed a dedicated 8 gauge power line with 20 amp breaker and hospital grade plugs for approximately $800. This was hands down the single biggest upgrade. You really have no idea what your gear is capable of delivering until you have fed it with clean power.

2. Speakers-this is where I would spend the a big chunk of my budget. I could make tweaks all day to my system but until I had speaker resolved enough to hear them, it all seems a waste of time. I discounted many things like cables because I couldn’t hear the difference until I had speakers that could actually produce the differences. Keep in mind the room size. I believed that bigger was better. I actually now run a pair of very good bookshelves that have no problem energizing the room. 

3. Amplifier power. Having enough power to drive the speakers is crucial in being able to hear what those speakers are capable of delivering. Yes different amp make different presentations but if there’s enough power then I believe it’s less of an issue and the source determines the sound quality more.

4. Now that I have the power and resolution to hear the difference between sources, cables, pre amplifier, streamer, DACs ect. This is where the real journey begins. 

On a side note, my room played a huge roll in how my system sounded but not a deal breaker. I learned that it’s possible to tweak the system to the room by experimenting with different gear. I learned that speaker size based on room size is pretty important. Have good rug!!

For reference my set up

Dedicated power

Lumin U1 mini

Denafrips Venus 2

Simaudio 340i

Sonus Faber Minima Amator 2

cables, AQ full bloom. NRG Z3, Earth XLR, Diamond USB, Meteor Speaker cables.

128x128dman1974

I Feel sorry for the effort some have to put into any hobby only to end up questioning their sanity. Is it that they’ve had to buy a whole pile of junk only to realize it takes more than that, life is too short to spend a chunk of it on the likes of  eBay. Nobody should have to buy hundreds of anything in order to arrive at exceptional sound. I spent years in and out of studios and sound rooms before spending cent one. Research, patients, then I built a room around the system, I’m happy. 

Cheers 

An interesting observation I've made is that the older audiophiles tend to focus on things lower in the chain, like speakers and amps.

The digital generation values and focuses on cleaning up the source and thinks that makes more of a difference in their setup.

At this point in my journey, I tend to side with the latter approach.

@1971gto455ho If you really spent years in and out of studios, you should at least have learned that the most desirable studio equipment such as: microphones, speakers, reel to reels and others are vintage. No one cares for the new studio crap made for convenience and not for sound quality. As far as the effort is concerned - if you love what you do is not work but pleasure and good old fashion  learning experience for which there is no substitute. 

@liamowen Don't knock it unless you tried it. Clean power is real thing and does provide audible improvements across all levels of components.

What might be considered crazy though is the cost of obtaining clean power. The conditioners, the cables, the linear power supplies, grounding boxes, etc. Its just a rabbit hole once you go down that path.

3 yrs. That's funny. But after 40 yrs I still build my systems around speakers, so I believe you have an ear. Tough crowd this...