Does the length of the Cable matter?

I've got to rig a 15 ft cable to my turntable.

A Mistake?

The sales person says no.

TIA

128x128jjbeason14

Yes it matters. Do to the low output of the TT. Phono cables are constructed differently than standard interconnects. The shorter the better. 1.5 meter length would be the max length to use and that length would be based on a very high quality cable. I’m not sure you can even buy a phono cable at 15 feet.

‘You will get sound out of the TT at 15 feet but the sound quality will be diminished.

‘Give it a try. If your happy with the results that’s all that matters.

Joe Nies

Out to your IA or Pre? 

Then it is just RCA out? 

DO you have a balanced option? 

What is your set-up? 

Is it an RCA to RCA cable, or a DIN from tonearm to RCA? easy to find and use long RCA to RCA. A bit harder to get a long DIN to RCA

Lots of people believe keeping phono cables short is important.

I ordered a custom 8 ft DIN/RCA cable for my 3rd arm from Pine Tree. Compared it to it’s OEM short cable, heard zero difference.

I would try your TT temporarily placed to use a short cable, then use an inexpensive long rca cable, hear any difference? Don’t forget some slack to turn equipment to have access to the rear jacks.

Then, buy a higher quality cable? Based on the Tonearm maker’s recommendation, I bought a high end Ortofon phono cable, didn’t hear any improvement than inexpensive cable I was using while awaiting delivery.

btw, if you have no choice, you have no choice!

Thanks guys!

I"m running a mid 80s Denon Reciver to a Technics 1500 turntable which has a built in Preamp.

More opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Need to make a decision.