Subwoofer boom is too much for me...

Could I tone down the boom on my subwoofer by plugging the port with something like a washcloth?  Have you ever tried this and had success?

Thanks for your thoughts.

128x128mikeydee

@erik_squires

Reading this as saying that getting good bass in a room is easy or that bass doesn’t matter is misguided

What part of "least critical speaker" don’t you understand?

Anyone who states getting excellent bass in a room is an easy and straightforward task for any audiophile with a single subwoofer

I said to use more than one, two is better, one in the front corner and one in the rear of the room (in the paper Earl suggests the rear opposite corner).

I can get excellent results with one subwoofer

Then why don’t you use one?

It’s hard for most to do the same,

Who is "most"? Of course you mean anyone who is NOT @ghdprentice ?? Again, you are shooting from the hip, where is the link to the research?

The swarm fanatics of course don’t understand

Yes, you have made it clear, only @ghdprentice understands, fanatics need not apply.

(BTW, if you are interested in a swarm they are available for $4100)

but most consumers expect to get to great bass with 1

More fiction, "most", "many", "some"??? Can you show me some type of marketing research that substantiates this?? Do you think the "average consumer" lacks the skills to use a search engine, or talk to a dealer, or a manufacturer? This isn’t 1989, there is a plethora of resources for anyone remotely interested in how to get good bass response (don’t believe me, just search and see for yourself.)

@mikeydee

Key point in this review of the DSPeaker 8022 II subwoofer optimizer "super easy to use" (3:45 mark). Get this unit, follow the instructions. One unit can optimize up to 4 subs (get at least two subs) and don’t forget your bass traps:

...and the OP disappears.

AudioGon threads remind me of conversations in the dining hall of my parent's independent living facility. 

I've had full range box speakers then because of the boominess/one note of the bass moved onto high quality monitors with two rel subs supporting the low end.  This was much better but still some boominess which I attribute to the subs and box speakers interacting with the bass room nodes that all rooms have.  I also installed several bass traps and used EQ to tame the room nodes.  This all helped but still was more of a band aid and didn't eliminate the issues completely.

I've since moved onto open baffle speakers with powered bass drivers and what a revelation the bass was in the same room as my previous box speakers and subs.  The bass is so much cleaner, faster and defined, no comparison.  Absolutely no bass boominess or overhang, fantastic change for the better.  I didn't realize what I was missing all these years and even got used to the bass of my rels which was pretty good.

The rels are retired for audio use and I only use them for my home theater now.  For home theater I do believe box subs are preferable as it is better to have boomier longer lasting bass for explosions etc.  But for music I want the opposite, I want quick detailed fast bass notes which my open baffle bass solved.  Open baffles interact with bass nodes much much less so than box speakers do and work well even in difficult rooms.  I don't even need my bass traps any longer.